Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we are moving to sydney from uk in the first week of January, my husband's company are paying our rent for the first 3 months we are there, they have said just find a short term rental for 3 months and then take that time to find the right area for you sounds great but.....my problem is, we have 2 school aged children, so whilst it sounds good having 3 months to settle in, I am aware that the schools start at the end of January which would mean starting them in a school close to the short term rental and then moving them again when we find the right area in 3 months which would be awful for them, unless we rent in the right area straight away.
I know you must all get asked these things on an almost daily basis but I am so worried about which area is right for all of us. I just want a cool area, cafe's, restaurants, supermarket and if possible a farmers market, for a family that's safe, with a lovely school (my daughter is very shy) and if possible not to far from the beach!!! Not much to ask...i know, i know!!
Its so important to get this right so please, please would anyone take 5 mins to give me feed back on their area so I can get a personal view from the people that are actually living there! Sydney is so big and it's so far from home I don't know where to start!!

My husband will be working in Mascot but is happy to travel, he will be earning 88000 Australian dollars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi we are moving to sydney from uk in the first week of January, my husband's company are paying our rent for the first 3 months we are there, they have said just find a short term rental for 3 months and then take that time to find the right area for you sounds great but.....my problem is, we have 2 school aged children, so whilst it sounds good having 3 months to settle in, I am aware that the schools start at the end of January which would mean starting them in a school close to the short term rental and then moving them again when we find the right area in 3 months which would be awful for them, unless we rent in the right area straight away.
I know you must all get asked these things on an almost daily basis but I am so worried about which area is right for all of us. I just want a cool area, cafe's, restaurants, supermarket and if possible a farmers market, for a family that's safe, with a lovely school (my daughter is very shy) and if possible not to far from the beach!!! Not much to ask...i know, i know!!
Its so important to get this right so please, please would anyone take 5 mins to give me feed back on their area so I can get a personal view from the people that are actually living there! Sydney is so big and it's so far from home I don't know where to start!!

My husband will be working in Mascot but is happy to travel, he will be earning 88000 Australian dollars.
Welcome Liz, I would say you can look around northern beaches... there is a great family vibe and some of absolutely best schools in sydney... it does seem to be the right area according to your requirements... you can specially look around fairlight, manly, mosman and neutral bay .... maybe someone else can add to the list... but these are just from top of my head...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well here some more information about the schools:-

To find out good schools around your suburbs first go to this website (MySchool)

Home | My School

Once you are there you can use the search function to find out schools around your suburb.

Whilst you are there look for Naplan results,basically you have to look for numeracy and literacy . According to my flatmate that gives you an idea of how good the school is.

Go through the my school overview video on the home page. It will give you good introduction about the education system and how a given school is being rated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both so much, that confirms what I thought that north sydney would be best for us, it narrows down our search area a lot!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts