Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be moving to Sydney in March for a few years- family of 4 (baby and 3.5 year old). I would love to hear input on some of the suburbs I have heard positive things about--(I know already that the negative is that they are expensive!) Main criteria for us: easy commute to CBD (30 minutes or less), safe, character/quaint (would rather have a shopping village than a strip mall), beaches nearby, family friendly, pedestrian oriented.

Please give me your opinion on renting in the areas below, or suggest a new area. Budget is still a bit uncertain, probably $1000/wk. Tank you very much in advance.
-Vida

Vaucluse
Double Bay
Mosman
Neutral Bay
Woollahra

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
They are all very nice suburbs. From my personal experience (I've only been to Mosman and Neutral Bay) Mosman has a good set of shops and that village feel. Neutral Bay is a bit sleepier but I don't know about the shops situation there.

I've heard good things about Double Bay as well (similar to Mosman). I think Vaucluse and Woolahra are sleepier.

We will be moving to Sydney in March for a few years- family of 4 (baby and 3.5 year old). I would love to hear input on some of the suburbs I have heard positive things about--(I know already that the negative is that they are expensive!) Main criteria for us: easy commute to CBD (30 minutes or less), safe, character/quaint (would rather have a shopping village than a strip mall), beaches nearby, family friendly, pedestrian oriented.

Please give me your opinion on renting in the areas below, or suggest a new area. Budget is still a bit uncertain, probably $1000/wk. Tank you very much in advance.
-Vida

Vaucluse
Double Bay
Mosman
Neutral Bay
Woollahra

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are all very nice suburbs. From my personal experience (I've only been to Mosman and Neutral Bay) Mosman has a good set of shops and that village feel. Neutral Bay is a bit sleepier but I don't know about the shops situation there.

I've heard good things about Double Bay as well (similar to Mosman). I think Vaucluse and Woolahra are sleepier.
Thank you for your help...looking forward to meeting some Aussie friends who are already proving to be friendly! (Similar msg went unanswered for days on a US website which has some ex-Sydney residents!)

·
Registered
4 Posts

-Vida

Vaucluse
Double Bay
Mosman
Neutral Bay
Woollahra

Hi Vida,

I just moved with my family at the beginning of December from Boston to Sydney. Our kids are older (10 & 12), but we have a similar budget and looked at some of the same areas.

We were in temporary accommodation out near Bondi for several weeks, so saw a lot of the eastern suburbs down to about Coogee. I'd add Bronte to the places you mentioned. We really liked Mosman; very leafy with nice views, close to the zoo :) But when I mentioned the northern beaches to a local friend, he said, "people go there to breed or to die..." I wouldn't necessarily go that far, but it isn't the place to go if you want much of an urban experience.

We finally settled on the inner West - Balmain, Birchgrove, Annandale, Glebe, etc. It's more artsy and urban but still plenty of parks and views. I'm 15 minutes on the light rail to the CBD myself, but other friends in the area take the ferry which is also quite fast.

My advice is to get a temporary base somewhere central and just pick a different suburb every few days and make a day trip out of it. Take mass transit from the CBD to get a sense of the commute (and remember to try it at rush hour), walk around the village, enjoy some of the amazing coffee wherever you are, shop, etc. A 30 minute radius of the CBD and your budget can give you pretty much any type of neighborhood you want, but you really need to see them to decide for yourself.

I'd be glad to help as you progress. We're still just settling in ourselves!

Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Vida,

I just moved with my family at the beginning of December from Boston to Sydney. Our kids are older (10 & 12), but we have a similar budget and looked at some of the same areas.

We were in temporary accommodation out near Bondi for several weeks, so saw a lot of the eastern suburbs down to about Coogee. I'd add Bronte to the places you mentioned. We really liked Mosman; very leafy with nice views, close to the zoo :) But when I mentioned the northern beaches to a local friend, he said, "people go there to breed or to die..." I wouldn't necessarily go that far, but it isn't the place to go if you want much of an urban experience.

We finally settled on the inner West - Balmain, Birchgrove, Annandale, Glebe, etc. It's more artsy and urban but still plenty of parks and views. I'm 15 minutes on the light rail to the CBD myself, but other friends in the area take the ferry which is also quite fast.

My advice is to get a temporary base somewhere central and just pick a different suburb every few days and make a day trip out of it. Take mass transit from the CBD to get a sense of the commute (and remember to try it at rush hour), walk around the village, enjoy some of the amazing coffee wherever you are, shop, etc. A 30 minute radius of the CBD and your budget can give you pretty much any type of neighborhood you want, but you really need to see them to decide for yourself.

I'd be glad to help as you progress. We're still just settling in ourselves!

Tim
Tim- I can't thank you enough--this is great info. I'm laughing about the Mosman comment in terms of breeding/dying....that is what they say about Santa Barbara, CA too (one of my favorite places!)....for the newly wed and the nearly dead! Were your temporary accomodations in Bondi anything you would recommend?
Thanks again and I may check back in as we know more...
Vida

·
Registered
4 Posts
Were your temporary accomodations in Bondi anything you would recommend?
Vida
No no no! That temporary place was terrible actually. Bondi is popular with the backpackers and the accommodations reflect that; overpriced and under maintained! We spent a bit of time at the Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments (sorry, I still can't post URLs...) and that was quite good - nice location right on Darling Harbour with fairly nice serviced furnished apartments. The York by Swiss, right in the CBD, was recommended, and you have good options with any of the Meriton properties; the one on Pitt St. would be a nice central location.
Keep in touch!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Vaucluse
Double Bay
Mosman
Neutral Bay
Woollahra[/QUOTE]

Best of luck on your move,
You have choosen some good areas.
If I can give you my suggestions.
We are here now 4 months.
We have a 3yr old and a baby due in about 7 days,
We live in Double bay,
Why?

Well it has a ferry and a train station(Edgecliff)
It is in the Eastern suburbs and very handy for CBD and indeed the Airport,
There is plenty of shopping and parks and yes... it has its own beach,
I hope this helps

Let me know if u have any questions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will definitely look into Edgecliff! I would love having a beach nearby. Thank you for your help....much appreciated.

Vaucluse
Double Bay
Mosman
Neutral Bay
Woollahra

Best of luck on your move,
You have choosen some good areas.
If I can give you my suggestions.
We are here now 4 months.
We have a 3yr old and a baby due in about 7 days,
We live in Double bay,
Why?

Well it has a ferry and a train station(Edgecliff)
It is in the Eastern suburbs and very handy for CBD and indeed the Airport,
There is plenty of shopping and parks and yes... it has its own beach,
I hope this helps

Let me know if u have any questions[/QUOTE]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts