Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I moved to Paris from Canada on May 1, 2015 under the Working Holiday Visa for one year, which I was then able to extend into a second year while I was living here.

My two year visa expired on April 30, 2017 and I need to switch my status to a student visa as I am going to be heading back to school here to study Interior Design. I planned to have this changed much sooner, but I needed my passport to be renewed... and it ended up taking eight weeks. I made an appointment with the student visa office in Porte de Clignancourt back in June for August 17th, but when I showed up with all my documents in hand I was told "Go back to Canada." The man at the front desk I was speaking to didn't seem too interested in helping or giving any additional information. Considering I brought my papers to that very office two months earlier and was approved for an appointment frustrates me beyond belief.

Should I try going back and talking with another person? Am I at the right office for changing my stature? I emailed the Canadian embassy, but I am waiting to hear back.

Does anybody have any advice or has gone through a similar instance?


· Read Only
18,691 Posts
This is a good question. As I understand it, Australians on a WHV cannot change their status within France and must return home to do so. However, I believe WHV arrangements for Canadians may be different. Have you checked on the relevant French Consulate website in Canada?

· Administrator
54,638 Posts
As far as I know, you really do have to return to your home country at the end of a WHV. It's not a "renewable" visa (in the sense of being eligible for a residence permit and/or a change of status). And honestly, there is nothing that the Canadian embassy can do for you under the circumstances.

As EH has suggested, take a look at the French consulate in Canada's website to see what the procedure is, and you may be able to set up an appointment online, then book a short visit back home to coincide with your visa application. In the long run, it will probably be the quickest way forward.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.