Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like some knowledge about this.

My daughter is graduating from the University of Oxford soon. ( Thesis to be submitted by 14 August). I know the chances are slim, but she would like to try for a Tier2 sponsored job.

1. She has been working max of 20 h/w during her studies. However, as there are no active studies now, can she work full time until her Tier4 visa expires in January 2016?

2. The amount of £945 to be in her account for 90 consecutive days. I would like to help her with this, so if I transfer the amount from my account to hers, do I need to write a letter to UKVI to confirm this?

3.How is the timing working, does she need to have the visa to start the employment or is it ok to start as soon as she applies for it?

4. As a Tier4 student switching to Tier2, has her job to be in the occupation shortage list? The employer doesn't have to pass the labor market test, right?

5. And finally, as I mentioned, we know the chances are not high, but does a certain degree ( my daughter's is Technology Enhanced Learning) or University play any role in achieving a Tier2 sponsored job or is it a total waste of time?

Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Read https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-application-for-uk-visa-as-tier-2-worker, esp pp 8, 28f and 42f.
#1 She can work full-time now. See https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...n_employers_guide_to_right_to_work_checks.pdf
#2 Not normally, but it's good to indicate the source of funding, such as bank transfer record.
#3 She must have valid Tier 2 (General) when she starts work.
#4 No to both. Read the Guidance.
#5 Chances are fairly good I'd have thought. Challenge is to get the graduate-level pay of £20,800.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Joppa, I've read the documentation in the link you provided, and have a couple of clairifying questions.

1. Should a student on a Tier 4 visa looking to switch to a Tier 2 general after graduation start looking for that position well ahead (months) as they will need a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship *before* being able to apply for the Tier 2 (general) visa?
  2. Will achieving the £20,800 salary be a challenge for someone doing a postgraduate degree mid-career? Would requiring sponsorship for a visa potentially result in a lower salary offer?
  3. Are the restrictions or elimination of working during term time and the salary requirement of £35,000 pa in order to qualify for ILR done deals, or are they still just proposed changes? The goal of coming to Britain to study is to get international/EU educational and work experience, so they are unwelcome changes from the perspective of a potential non-EU student.
  4. Is someone on a Tier 2 (general) limited to that one sponsoring employer, or can they change employers they way someone on a spouse visa could?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you for your reply Joppa.

Just one more question, please. Does the job has to be strictly by her qualification?

Much appreciated as always.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Joppa, I've read the documentation in the link you provided, and have a couple of clairifying questions.
You are hijacking someone else's thread, but never mind.

[*]Should a student on a Tier 4 visa looking to switch to a Tier 2 general after graduation start looking for that position well ahead (months) as they will need a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship *before* being able to apply for the Tier 2 (general) visa?
They can and should start looking for sponsorship before finishing the course but can't make the application until they successfully complete it.

[*]Will achieving the £20,800 salary be a challenge for someone doing a postgraduate degree mid-career? Would requiring sponsorship for a visa potentially result in a lower salary offer?
It's not a particularly high graduate-level pay but it all depends on how attractive you are to potential employers. Even though no resident labour market test is required, sponsorship does involve in extra work and expense and most employers prefer not to have to do it.

[*]Are the restrictions or elimination of working during term time and the salary requirement of £35,000 pa in order to qualify for ILR done deals, or are they still just proposed changes? The goal of coming to Britain to study is to get international/EU educational and work experience, so they are unwelcome changes from the perspective of a potential non-EU student.
The bigger picture for the government is to reduce net immigration, which is really getting out of hand. While international competitiveness is a factor, and something universities are keen to maintain, reducing immigration takes precedence. £35k for ILR is now in the rules, originally proposed 3 years ago.

[*]Is someone on a Tier 2 (general) limited to that one sponsoring employer, or can they change employers they way someone on a spouse visa could?
They can, but have to apply to extend their Tier 2 General visa with fresh certificate of sponsorship. This can be done within UK. Even working with the same employer, if the job category changes (SOC code), extension is needed.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You are hijacking someone else's thread, but never mind.
Mea culpa. My apologies. Thank you for the answers, and I hope the information was relevant to the OP.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May I ask another question?

Regarding DSB:

My daughter has been in the UK for almost a year and has a DSB certificate, which was required for her part time job at a nursery. However, I can see that most employers require the check. Is the one for the last one year adequate or she need to obtain a longer one from Armenia? She is currently in Armenia for a short mentorship project, went to the police who advised for overseas job she should ask the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? Is this at all required?

Please advise and thank you. Don't know what I would do without this forum, especially Joppa. Thanks for all the knowledge and contribution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.