Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I arrived here from Australia in January 2017 with my partner who is a British citizen. I need to switch from my Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa into a Spouse visa, and I'm hoping to do that as soon as possible as the time I spend here on my Youth Mobility visa doesn't count towards the five year requirement for Indefinite Leave to Remain. However, I just read this on the the website:

'The earliest you can apply is 28 days before your current permission (called ‘leave to remain’) expires. Any time you have left will be added to your new permission to stay, up to a maximum of 28 days.'

Does this mean that I have to wait until December next year to apply? With the possible 2 month wait for a decision, that might mean that I end up overstaying my visa (or having to go home and come back).

Can anyone help?? I'm very worried about it.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
That quoted excerpt doesn't apply to your situation, it's for an extension of the same visa type. You can apply for FLR(M) as a spouse as soon as you have a marriage certificate. The date you receive your spouse visa will then become the basis for your future visa extensions (including ILR).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.