Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first post. My family is planning on moving to France later this year under the visitor visa. I wanted to attend university this year but missed the application deadline. Is it possible to switch my status to student next year at the prefecture when it's time to renew? Do I have to return to the US to apply for a student visa? Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Administrator
49,148 Posts
Hello all,

This is my first post. My family is planning on moving to France later this year under the visitor visa. I wanted to attend university this year but missed the application deadline. Is it possible to switch my status to student next year at the prefecture when it's time to renew? Do I have to return to the US to apply for a student visa? Thanks in advance for any input.
If you are here on a visitor visa I don't believe there is any restriction on your attending a university as long as you are accepted for admission. The main difference between the visitor and the student visa involves the requirements about financial resources. But if your situation changes you can always see about changing status when it comes time to renew your titre de séjour.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding Bev! I was hoping you would! ? So are you saying that I could possibly enroll for the spring semester (Jan) if I got accepted and change my status to student at renewal? If so that would be great!

·
Administrator
49,148 Posts
What I'm saying is that you don't necessarily need a student visa status in order to enroll in school/university. Now, depending on your plans for working, you might need a change of status in order to be eligible to take a part-time job to finance your studies. Not certain if they can/will change your status within France like that, but you can negotiate that with the prefecture when the time comes.

You probably should also be aware that not all French universities accept mid-year admissions. If you're thinking of going to a French public university, you may well have to wait until next fall anyhow. (And again, depending on what your plans are, you may not have to change your status.)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts