Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is John I'm a swimming pool engineer. We are considering a move to France in the near future and wondered if there is much work out there? I not only build and renovate pools but have a good construction background in bricklaying and stone masonry and the use of lime mortars

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Many thank

John Cox TnISPE

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I'm not sure you should be looking in the south - that's where any/everyone who has pool maintenance skills gravitates to & I suspect that market's flooded.

I think you should be looking to affluent areas either on the atlantic coast or towards France's eastern border - which, on the face of it, aren't as honey-pot attractive for all the feeble-minded labourers who think that France is confined to an area bounded by the Italian border in the east, the Med in the south, the Rhone delta to the west and the grande corniche (or at a pinch Aix) to the north - the rest of France just being a kind of transit bore between the channel ports and the sun!

The ownership of swimming pools is NOT confined the the south-east; use Google Sat to zoom in on other areas and just see how many other places have pools in their gardens, albeit not necessarily as ostentatious as we are led to believe those in the south are.

Otherwise try Monaco - hellishly difficult to get work there, but if you can, you're made!

Hils

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the Pays de Loire and look after a few friends pools while they are not here (only changing filters and chemicals), one comment I have heard from my friends with pools is 'there isn't a great deal of competition' I am only aware of one company in my area and the prices they charge this reflect this.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
i am in the pays de loire and look after a few friends pools while they are not here (only changing filters and chemicals), one comment i have heard from my friends with pools is 'there isn't a great deal of competition' i am only aware of one company in my area and the prices they charge this reflect this.
q.e.d.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.