Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Spain and I am a UK citizen. The process of passing a driving test in Spain for Brits is horrific.
My idea is to go to Ireland, rent the cheapest flat in can find to obtain a proof of address and apply to exchange my UK licence for an Irish one. That will allow me to drive in Spain. The flights and rental for a flat I will not live in is peanuts compared with what one can expect to pay in Spain for all the tests and lessons
My questions are:
1:When exchanging licences in Ireland, the application form online says proof of residence is required. Is that just a utility bill or do they require evidence of living such as payslips and bank account activity?
2: can I initiate the process of exchanging licences as soon as I arrive and have an Irish address? I think my UK licence is valid for 1 year so they may tell me to apply later

many thanks in advance

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kudos to you @paul.jeremy.turner for trying to devise a method to circumvent the Spanish driving test.

However simply googling the issue throws up the condition that to convert a UK driving licence to an Irish one requires you to be 'normally resident' in Ireland, see links below.
Just renting a flat won't make you 'normally resident' in Ireland.

From this link, How to Exchange a UK or NI Driving Licence - National Driver Licence Service if you click on 'normal residence' you will arrive at the following link:

and the following requirements:
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Web page

Its very clear that 'normal residence' entails at least 185 days per year. And evidence of 'normal residence' doesn't include a tenancy agreement.
If your plan is to live 185 days + in ROI then good luck !
If not, then I'd suggest finding the easiest locations in Spain to take a test and pass.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts