Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone point me in the direction of areas within or outside of Paris that may have more of an ecologically minded/green ambience?

I'm doing some research into a possible move to Paris and am interested in areas where my family could find a greener way of life!

Also, I'd love to meet any other eco-minded people in the Paris area!

Lots of love
:hippie:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you can check the Montreuil area. There is a big "nouveau robinsons" a place to shop ecologically and I know someone who rents some offices eco rated. This might be the area where it is happening the most.
Les Nouveaux Robinson - Supermarchs coopratifs de produits biologiques et cologiques
Ville de Montreuil : L'actu
Wow! Thank you for the quick response. I'll do some research online of the Montreuil area. Are there any friendly towns/villages in commuting distance of Paris that you might also be able to recommend?

Thank you again!

xxx

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have always lived within Paris and know nothing about suburbs :sorry:

However you might be interested in something I read recently. Apparently in an "eco-quartier" of verrières le buisson, the company Velux is looking for a family to stay in an eco-house for free for one year. There are a few conditions to apply , be a family with 2 kids from 3 to 12 and speak English! Here is the link if you can read French Eco-habitat: Velux recherche une famille pour habiter la maison de demain | Blog Pages-Energie

Verrières le buisson is quite away from central Paris, I guess Bev might be able to evaluate the commuting time.

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
Hate to sound really cynical, but "greener than what?"

France in general is a little behind the curve when it comes to ecological life styles. There is a current fashion for using wood in the construction of homes, though I'm not sure all mairies will allow it (perhaps this is changing).

And the fact that you mention commuting to Paris flies in the face of the whole eco thing. Just heard someone commenting on the radio that the roads in and out of Paris are saturated at rush-hours, but that there is no point in encouraging people onto the public transit system, because that is also full to overflowing, complete with old rolling stock that isn't particularly pleasant or economical to use for commuting.

There are some eco-oriented chain stores starting to crop up - Bio-Coop (food) and Botanic (garden shop) spring to mind. To the south and east of Paris you can find genuine farmland if that's what you're looking for.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hate to sound really cynical, but "greener than what?"

France in general is a little behind the curve when it comes to ecological life styles. There is a current fashion for using wood in the construction of homes, though I'm not sure all mairies will allow it (perhaps this is changing).

And the fact that you mention commuting to Paris flies in the face of the whole eco thing. Just heard someone commenting on the radio that the roads in and out of Paris are saturated at rush-hours, but that there is no point in encouraging people onto the public transit system, because that is also full to overflowing, complete with old rolling stock that isn't particularly pleasant or economical to use for commuting.

There are some eco-oriented chain stores starting to crop up - Bio-Coop (food) and Botanic (garden shop) spring to mind. To the south and east of Paris you can find genuine farmland if that's what you're looking for.
Cheers,
Bev
I was about to disagree with your point about commuting flying in the face of ecology... but then I read on about the overflowing public transport system.

We were hoping to use the trains...

To be honest, we were up until 1am talking and researching online and have been a little put off.

I'm not sure my husband's salary would allow us to have a very good quality of life inside Paris, as much as I would love it and even outside Paris, in the nicer towns and villages, where there would be more of a support network or a stronger, more welcoming, community feel, I don't think we'd be able to afford anything very pleasant - we're looking at around 1500/month for a 3 b/r (100mq+) place... :eek: !

The general feel of the outlying areas is either of extreme expatriate and Parisian wealth, or quite uninspiring towns. I could be wrong (and I do hope I am!) - I'm just using other websites and immobiliers sites such as http://www.annoncesjaunes.fr/immobilier-location as guidelines.

We really need to think about this further and decide whether this is a good idea or not.

Thanks so much Bev - you've kind of confirmed some of our own fears!

xx

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have always lived within Paris and know nothing about suburbs :sorry:

However you might be interested in something I read recently. Apparently in an "eco-quartier" of verrières le buisson, the company Velux is looking for a family to stay in an eco-house for free for one year. There are a few conditions to apply , be a family with 2 kids from 3 to 12 and speak English! Here is the link if you can read French Eco-habitat: Velux recherche une famille pour habiter la maison de demain | Blog Pages-Energie

Verrières le buisson is quite away from central Paris, I guess Bev might be able to evaluate the commuting time.
Thank you for the link to the maison de demain but we would need somewhere by July and they pick the lucky family in September so it would be a bit late! But what a fascinating idea! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We only know Paris from holidays but these were always spent in the city itself, in Montmartre. Unfortunately we do not know the outlying areas at all. Nevertheless, we've done some research and Chantilly, Pont Sainte Maxence and Senlis seem really nice from what we can see online.

Also, if they are liveable areas, would anyone be able to advise us on primary schools for our two children (aged 8 and 5) and on integration for foreign children? Our children are used to moving around a lot with us, but to date have attended international schools. My husband would be taking a salary cut so we would not be able to afford an international education in Paris. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.