Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a US citizen who lives in the UK wants to surrender her driving license while visiting the US is it a simple case of going to the DMV and doing so? Or is it more complicated with other factors to consider?

We're off to America on Saturday and will be getting married while we're there. My fiancee (the US citizen and UK resident) doesn't know what to do about her driving license. Normal people would need to change the name on it after the marriage, but she never uses it and has no need for it. If it's simple enough she'd like to give it up, but if it isn't can she just not change the name on it since she doesn't use it? Does changing the name act as a renewal?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add more info, it's a South Carolina license. It expires in 2 and a half years.

Technically, I believe it might not be valid anyway since she hasn't been a South Carolina resident for years.

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
Why does she want to surrender the license? If you're just visiting the US, you don't need to do anything about the license - particularly if she doesn't use it. If she really wants to be rid of it, just cut it in half and throw it away.

Don't know if there is any reciprocity in the UK, but if she has any interest in getting a UK license, it could save her a bit of hassle in getting a UK license (but it's possible it won't make any difference at all).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's fine, we'll just leave her name as it is on it and let it expire. I was just checking that us getting married and her having a new surname didn't make a difference. As I mentioned, technically I suppose it's expired anyway since she isn't a resident at her parents address on the license.

She already has a UK license anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any advantage to her changing the name on her licence when we get married name and keeping it? She hasn't lived there for 7 years and doesn't use it for driving because I think you have to be a resident for it to be valid. I think the fewer amount of things tying her to the state the better, just for simplicity. I know some Americans abroad renew theirs and others don't.

Is it fine to change her name on social security but leave the license the same and let it expire? When she moved to the UK she didn't inform the DMV she was leaving SC (if you're supposed to) as she didn't know if she would stay in the UK permanently.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
If she's not a South Carolina resident then she has to let it go. The state doesn't seem to want the license card back from what I can tell. If she doesn't want to keep it as a souvenir, she can just cut it up and throw it away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'll just let it expire. She has no real use for it and the SC DMV has no info about moving abroad.

A nice souvenir it is then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts