Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in General Expat Discussion but I thought it would be relevant here too.

If a US citizen who lives in the UK wants to surrender her driving license while visiting the US is it a simple case of going to the DMV and doing so? Or is it more complicated with other factors to consider? It runs out in two and a half years and we're wondering if we can just let it expire. Technically, I believe it might not be valid anyway since she hasn't been a South Carolina resident for years.

We're off to America on Saturday and will be getting married while we're there. My fiancee (the US citizen and UK resident) doesn't know what to do about her driving license. Normal people would need to change the name on it after the marriage, but she never uses it and has no need for it. If it's simple enough she'd like to give it up, but if it isn't can she just not change the name on it since she doesn't use it? Does changing the name act as a renewal?

Cheers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what we're thinking nyclon.

I didn't know if there was a legal requirement to do so and if it had a knock-on effect on anything else. If we went to the US and she drove on it I think it's technically invalid anyway with her not being a resident. The address on it is her parents as she lived there just before she moved to the UK seven years ago.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
No, there is no legal requirement. Most people just let it expire or continue renewing it if they have a US address they can use. I have not heard of anyone surrendering their license.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.