Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,027 Posts
Hi,
I think this report is a bit misleading.
PM 2.5 can be from natural or man made sources.
The report does not mention where the pollutants in each country come from.
You would expect high levels of man made PM 2.5 pollution from countries with high levels of industry like India and China.
I suspect the PM 2.5 in the UAE is mainly made up of very fine sand dust - the sort you see ghostly swirling on the roads here.
Having said that - these extremely small particles lodge very deeply in your lungs and are very bad for people with asthma, COPD and other respiratory disorders.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm sure it's polluted but no way THE most polluted. I mean what about Los Angeles where you can see the pollution clouds? Or China where you can TASTE the difference? Or even Egypt right next door?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I'm sure it's polluted but no way THE most polluted. I mean what about Los Angeles where you can see the pollution clouds? Or China where you can TASTE the difference? Or even Egypt right next door?
I'm not terribly good at geography but how is Egypt 'right next door'?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in Kabul, and we're advised that our polluted air is 53% human waste due to the burning of said waste as a fuel source plus of course, the sand that is constantly blowing. I tend to equate pollution with contaminants. Not just the fact that it's sand blowing in the wind. Like factory pollution, car exhausts etc. So that being said, I'm not sure UAE could be considered most polluted in the world. Have you guys been to Mexico?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not terribly good at geography but how is Egypt 'right next door'?
True, Egypt is 3 and a half hours away by plane, nearly as far as India. I won't consider that (right next door).

I do agree however that air pollution in Egypt is beyond imagination.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I grew up in Egypt and have lived there for 4 years. We had a wonderful time but I do think having lived there has decreased my life expectancy with a couple of years. I once read that being in Egypt for 24 hours and breathing its air is the same as smoking two packs of cigarettes...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I grew up in Egypt and have lived there for 4 years. We had a wonderful time but I do think having lived there has decreased my life expectancy with a couple of years. I once read that being in Egypt for 24 hours and breathing its air is the same as smoking two packs of cigarettes...
Oh my, I should start writing my will then :plane:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts