Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surinder Singh Route EEA info

Tags
eea spouse
2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Joppa 
#1 ·
Hi I am interested in using the Surinder Singh route for my spouse.
I have been reading up alot about how this works. I am a british citizen and I understand I have to go to another EU member state and exercise my treaty rights by living there with my spouse and working or being self employed. But there is something I need more info on. What happens if we stay with family or friends in another EU state? How do we prove our accomodation when applying for the EEA family permit Etc?
Can anyone help please.

#2 ·
As well as moving to another EEA state and exercising economic treaty rights, you need to move the centre of life to that country. It means, for example, getting involved in local life, membership of clubs and organisations, voluntary work, and especially the work you do will bring you into contact with people and institutions there. If you have children, they are expected to be enrolled in local schools. And your income is such that you can maintain yourself and enables you to move the centre of life.

#7 ·
Thankyou.
I understand that once me and my spouse in the country my spouse has to apply for a residence card within 3 months. What if i cannot find a job within the first 3 months even if i have applied etc. What would happen in terms of the residence card and eea family permit?

#8 ·
If you aren't exercising EU treaty right within 3 months, and your savings have dried up, then your spouse won't get residence card and will probably be told to leave the country. In the current economic situation in many EU countries, this is a real possibility, and not being fluent in local language (for example) will make it more difficult to land a job. If you don't get a job or or run a business, and if you haven't moved the entre of life, your spouse's application for EEA family permit won't succeed. All things considered, you may find getting a job in UK that pays at least £18,600 turns out to be a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.