Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I just recently lost dad and trying to move mum and sister over here to help them start a new life :-(

I desperately need help with understanding Surinder Singh option.

I understand that I will have to move/work in EU country and move my centre of life. What is unclear to me is how do I move them to EU country in first place? Mum and sister were dependent on dad and now that he's passed away I will take over. I don't have solid history of their dependency on me.

1) Do my mum and sister arrive on usual tourist visa and then apply for residency in EU Country?
2) How long should I have been supporting them financially prior to that application?
3) Is it ok that my sister is 25 years old as long as she is dependent on me financially?
4) Is it sufficient for EEA Permit to move to UK to show their dependency on me while we were in EU (bills, money transfers, etc) ? Or do I need to have long solid history of financial support while they were in Russia?
5) Is there a difference between EU countries at all? Do I have a better chance if I choose country I know language of (can prove it by taking test)

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
While your mother is regarded as direct family member in the ascending line, your sister will be extended family member and you need to show dependence on either the EEA citizen or their partner. Financial dependence must be evidenced through bank statement, money transfer record etc while she has been living in Russia and continues as she joins you in another EEA country. Both your mother and sister need a visa for the EEA country, and then apply for residence card as family members (direct and extended). You are unlikely to be successful if your support hasn't be of some duration (years instead of months) , covering up to half her living costs. So just starting to support her at the beginning of Surinder Singh process is unlikely to work. Since extended family member needs to be approved by Home Office, they will try to refuse her application as far as it's possible.
Clearly somewhere like Ireland, Malta and Cyprus will be easier from language point of view, but you can choose any EEA country (and not Switzerland).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your quick response!

I might reconsider trying to bring sister over on that visa ... It would be difficult to prove that she can't find a job in a developed country like Russia.

With regards to mum - can I start supporting her now for 6 months and then while in Spain she will be completely dependent on me. Will that be enough for UK EEA Family permit?

Also, my biggest confusion is around type of visa she will be on while in Spain. There is a Family permit that requires dependency and allows work. And there is also another type of family visa which doesnt allow her to work and is only given for 1 year. All I need to prove is that I have enough funds to support her during her time in Spain and buy private medical insurance. Say we do that and then after 8-9 months in Spain apply for EEA in UK showing our Spanish bills and 6 months worth of bank transfers while she was in Russia. Would that work? Or she needs to be granted specific visa in Spain?

Thanks a lot !!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
As direct family member, your mother doesn't have to be financially dependent on you. So just you and her desire to be united in Spain should be sufficient. She can be on any visa in Spain, but as direct member of an EU citizen, you should apply for residence card valid 5 years with the right to work (whether she chooses to work or not).
Remember it is very difficult to get a job in Spain that pays well enough to support a family (a condition for EEA family permit) with sky-high unemployment and dire financial state. So many British expats are returning home because they can no longer sustain themselves financially - these are people with years of experience behind and a good command of the language. It's the same in much of other EU states formally popular for relocation, like Portugal, Italy, Ireland and of course Greece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Joppa.
After reading about all types of family permits in Spain I was under impression that she needed to be dependent on me to have 5-year residency card. I'll go back to reading about it again..

I am an accountant and worked in Spain in 2008-2010, just before the bad times. I realise it will be challenging to find a job now, and I will try other countries too (Belgium? Netherlands?). Hopefully, I'll manage to find a job somewhere.

What is the name of permit I will be trying to get for my mum? I was told for EEA Family permit I will need to prove that mum has been financially dependent on me? In fact gov.uk says on EEA permit with surinder singh route "parent or grandparent (or of their spouse or civil partner) and dependent on them"

Thanks!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
That's right. Direct family member in the ascending line (such as a parent or grandparent) must be financially dependent for EEA family permit. Home Office will also look at the extent to which your mother is dependent on you, if, for example, there is another family member in Russia who can provide some support, even if currently they aren't doing so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my main confusion is around that. I thought that mum's dependence on me will have to be shown once - for Spain (bank transfers) and once again for UK for EEA Family Permit (proof that we lived together, I paid for bills/rent and groceries). Wouldn't UK automatically grant my mother EEA if they see that I lived there with mum for 6 months?

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
No. You need to show her dependence on you (at least 50% of her living costs).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do I show that? That I earned enough while in Spain to support both of us? Or make transfers to her when we're in same household? :-S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.