Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much documentation is too much? :confused:

I'm attempting to assemble all of the paperwork for my spouse visa application, and it seems I've got way too much stuff! Any guidelines on how much evidence to provide would be fantastic!

How many photos should we provide? What about reciepts from purchases made while together, gifts, etc?

For correspondence, we have made screen captures of our email accounts messages sent to each other in and out. (Do we just need to include our email inboxes?) For Skype, should we print out the entire transcript?

Is it okay if we place the originals in plastic sleeves, sorted by category, within a plastic binder? We do not want to risk damaging the originals at all, and because many of the original documents are on different paper sizes, it seems the only way to prevent that. I have sleeves for both A4 and letter, and a binder which they both fit perfectly in. We're thinking we'll have a separate pile for the copies. Should we bind those together, or just clip them in order?

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
How much documentation is too much? :confused:

I'm attempting to assemble all of the paperwork for my spouse visa application, and it seems I've got way too much stuff! Any guidelines on how much evidence to provide would be fantastic!

How many photos should we provide? What about reciepts from purchases made while together, gifts, etc?
A few photos covering the beginning, middle and current part of your relationship including a couple of wedding photos. Maybe 10-15. You can tape them to a sheet or 2 of A4.

For correspondence, we have made screen captures of our email accounts messages sent to each other in and out. (Do we just need to include our email inboxes?) For Skype, should we print out the entire transcript?
Screen captures or mailboxes are fine. They don't care about content. A page or 2 for every 6 months or so is enough.

]Is it okay if we place the originals in plastic sleeves, sorted by category, within a plastic binder? We do not want to risk damaging the originals at all, and because many of the original documents are on different paper sizes, it seems the only way to prevent that. I have sleeves for both A4 and letter, and a binder which they both fit perfectly in. We're thinking we'll have a separate pile for the copies. Should we bind those together, or just clip them in order?
Don't use plastic sleeves or binders. Your package will be taken apart and put in an order to suit the case worker. Sleeves and binders will just add extra work and probably be annoying. We suggest putting things in a logical order: all financial docs together, all accommodation together and all relationship together. Put copies in the identical order. Tie the originals together with string and likewise the copies.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Don't use plastic sleeves or binders. Your package will be taken apart and put in an order to suit the case worker. Sleeves and binders will just add extra work and probably be annoying. We suggest putting things in a logical order: all financial docs together, all accommodation together and all relationship together. Put copies in the identical order. Tie the originals together with string and likewise the copies.
Hello!
I did my application in the above manner, even though papers were of different sizes. When it was returned, the ties weren't even undone - I think the ECO was just able to thumb through them and remove the individual pieces that they needed to keep.

I sincerely think that making it this easy for them was one factor in my application only taking 10 working days from receipt in Sheffield to return to me in the USA. Not that everyone should expect the same results, but I do think approaching it with the goal of making it as easy for them as possible, makes a difference.

Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone! :)

We are submitting a separate stack of copies, in the same order as our binder but loose. I was under the impression we would get all of our originals back. Shouldn't they just reorganize the copies and leave our originals in the binder alone...? It doesn't make sense why they should pick out original items to keep if we provide copies. :confused:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone! :)

We are submitting a separate stack of copies, in the same order as our binder but loose. I was under the impression we would get all of our originals back. Shouldn't they just reorganize the copies and leave our originals in the binder alone...? It doesn't make sense why they should pick out original items to keep if we provide copies. :confused:
Some originals are kept, some copies are kept, according to what they need. Again, using a binder is very strongly discouraged. You will only be increasing both the cost of shipping and the aggravation for the ECO who has to process your application.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more question... there is the PDF file on the UKBA giving examples of supporting documents. (Unfortunately I am unable to find the link right now! My brain seems to have shut off as it's my lone day off this week...) It states something about providing letters of employment from the applicant.

If I understand correctly, only my husband needs to provide this evidence...? It seems this evidence would need to be provided by the applicant if they were applying as a visitor - not a settlement visa - as proof they will leave the UK after their visit.

Do we need to provide screenshots of both our email inboxes and outboxes, or will inboxes alone suffice? (If we do both in and out, we are looking at about 100 pages!)

For Skype, I've heard it suggested to take a couple screenshots of conversation for every month? That sounds reasonable. I also want to include a handful of color printouts which show us on video.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hmmmm. According to this page

UK Border Agency | Applying for a UK visa in the USA English

they should return the originals:

For every document that you provide, you must include the original document and a photocopy. This includes a copy of your passport bio-data page (the page containing your photograph). Please ensure that the photocopies are of good quality and can be read easily. If you do not provide a photocopy of each document, we might not return your original documents to you.

Confusing to say the least! One would think that if they specifically wanted a certain format, they should say so in their requirements!

Thanks for your input Water Dragon :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
One more question... there is the PDF file on the UKBA giving examples of supporting documents. (Unfortunately I am unable to find the link right now! My brain seems to have shut off as it's my lone day off this week...) It states something about providing letters of employment from the applicant.

If I understand correctly, only my husband needs to provide this evidence...? It seems this evidence would need to be provided by the applicant if they were applying as a visitor - not a settlement visa - as proof they will leave the UK after their visit.

Do we need to provide screenshots of both our email inboxes and outboxes, or will inboxes alone suffice? (If we do both in and out, we are looking at about 100 pages!)

For Skype, I've heard it suggested to take a couple screenshots of conversation for every month? That sounds reasonable. I also want to include a handful of color printouts which show us on video.
This process is enough to shut down anyone's brain.... ;)

I think you are thinking of the general recommendations that are for several types of visas. For settlement, you are correct, only the UK sponsor has to prove employment.

For my application, I only showed an email log of my inbox. You should show a representative selection from the beginning, middle and current communications. They just want you to show the continuity of your relationship. Only 2-3 pages total are needed. This also applies to Skype, etc. I don't know if they would care about the color shots of the video, seems like duplication to me.

Everyone's situation is unique. It isn't about specific number of pages, etc. It is about concisely proving the 3 main requirements - financial, relationship and accommodation. Keep plugging away and you will eventually have all the pieces in place.
:fingerscrossed:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.