Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently putting the documents together to apply for a spouse visa for my wife.

As the sponsor (UK Citizen), I will be providing the following:
- Support letter.
- Passport.
- Birth Certificate.
- Bank Statements.
- CV.

My question is regarding the support letter.
What is it?
What should it contain?
How long should it be?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
I am currently putting the documents together to apply for a spouse visa for my wife.

As the sponsor (UK Citizen), I will be providing the following:
- Support letter.
- Passport.
- Birth Certificate.
- Bank Statements.
- CV.

My question is regarding the support letter.
What is it?
What should it contain?
How long should it be?
It's a letter, no longer than 2 sides of A4, in which you outline your relationship from the beginning to the present day, and state your hope for the future. Give salient facts, such as how you met (say online) for the first time, and how and how often you met in person, how your relationship grew and deepened, your engagement, your marriage etc. Also give any further information on how you intend to support her financially if it isn't covered by supporting documents. It's customary for the applicant (your wife) to supply a similar letter comprising her take on the relationship. It helps if both broadly agree!
The purpose of the letter(s) is to show evidence of a genuine relationship.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Joppa.

And my wife's similar support letter? This counts as her letter of introduction, correct?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks again Joppa.

And my wife's similar support letter? This counts as her letter of introduction, correct?
Correct; it will outline the history of your relationship and her desire to relocate to the UK to be reunited with you, as Joppa mentioned.

Just ensure the content/salient points are in synch with what you have written in your letter.

teuchter

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks very much guys.

I have just been on to the UKBA existing applications login to retrieve my application in order to write my support letter......and they cannot verify my login details, although I just logged in last night with the same ones!!! I am now writing the whole application again.

On section 7 (settlement>you sponsor) I am now second guessing myself as to whether I am the sponsor, as my wife and I are both still students and are currently supported by our parents, until I find work after my graduation this summer. This might be a stupid question, but does this still make me the sponsor?

·
Registered
494 Posts
thanks very much guys.

I have just been on to the UKBA existing applications login to retrieve my application in order to write my support letter......and they cannot verify my login details, although I just logged in last night with the same ones!!! I am now writing the whole application again.

On section 7 (settlement>you sponsor) I am now second guessing myself as to whether I am the sponsor, as my wife and I are both still students and are currently supported by our parents, until I find work after my graduation this summer. This might be a stupid question, but does this still make me the sponsor?
As the UK citizen in the equation, you are indeed the sponsor for this purpose.

teuchter

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thankyou teuchter,

I was just confused as a have already filled out my information earlier in the application, and now they ask for it again.

Thanks anyway, im sure I will have more questions as I progress. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
thankyou teuchter,

I was just confused as a have already filled out my information earlier in the application, and now they ask for it again.

Thanks anyway, im sure I will have more questions as I progress. :)
Yes it can be confusing; but the people on this forum are always here to help!

teuchter

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats good cos these forms are unbelievable!!!!!

now it asks me how we keep in touch? when we last saw eachother? and when does she intend to leave the uk???????

first of all we live together already in latvia. and if we are applying for a spouse visa in order to settle in the UK, why would she be wanting to leave? should I just put a date 50 yrs from now or something.....hopefully she will last that long without wanting to kill me :p

·
Registered
494 Posts
thats good cos these forms are unbelievable!!!!!

now it asks me how we keep in touch? when we last saw eachother? and when does she intend to leave the uk???????

first of all we live together already in latvia. and if we are applying for a spouse visa in order to settle in the UK, why would she be wanting to leave? should I just put a date 50 yrs from now or something.....hopefully she will last that long without wanting to kill me :p
Yes, the questions do seem confusing, but that's because the forms are designed to be used by people in a variety of different situations (eg yours, where you are living together vs. a couple who are currently apart and are applying for a visa in order to be reunited in the UK).

For questions which are irrelevant to your case (such as the ones you quoted), you can simply write 'not applicable'.

teuchter

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At the end of the online application is a section that asks for "any additional information".

Is there anything specific that should be mentioned here that has not been asked already throughout the form????

·
Registered
494 Posts
At the end of the online application is a section that asks for "any additional information".

Is there anything specific that should be mentioned here that has not been asked already throughout the form????
Nothing specific, unless (eg) you need to elaborate on any unusual answers in the preceding sections, or you wish to refer to additional evidence in support of your application which is not covered by the information given in any of the other sections.

teuchter

·
Registered
57 Posts
applicant/wife letter?

So is the applicant/spouse letter separate from the statement/essay portion on the application for "additional information"? For some reason that spot is where I thought I wrote my part.

Is there a sample letter out there? Just to help guide my writing. My fiance did find a sample letter of the sponsor letter.

·
Registered
494 Posts
So is the applicant/spouse letter separate from the statement/essay portion on the application for "additional information"? For some reason that spot is where I thought I wrote my part.

Is there a sample letter out there? Just to help guide my writing. My fiance did find a sample letter of the sponsor letter.
Yes they are separate. The 'additional information' section is optional, for reasons already explained above.

teuchter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.