Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope someone can clarify a question I have regarding my girlfriend who is about to submit her online UK visa application in Vancouver.

Q/ when she makes her biometric fingerprint / photo appointment, does she need to take with her all the "supporting documents" to hand in that day or can she courier them another day ?

(The reason I ask is that she is still waiting for one more supporting document item to arrive in the post)

Any help, appreciated - thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Its my understanding that she has to get the paper application and all of the supporting documents to the New York consulate within 14 days from the date of her biometrics appointment. If she receives her document in the post before her appointment, it would be in her best interests to get the paper application into the mail that day (there are lots of couriers with offices near Burrard SkyTrain, including Canada Post... I think that there's a Canada Post outlet in the Royal Centre... across the street from the Biometrics place, on the SkyTrain side of Burrard Street... she can't miss it, as it's where the Royal Bank of Canada is located and there's a McDonalds at the street level).

I'd recommend sending it courier (it will probably cost her CAD 100$ (plus HST) to send it express courier (she should compare DHL, FedEx, UPS and Canada Post for the best rate) rather than sending it in the regular mail.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
when she makes her biometric fingerprint / photo appointment, does she need to take with her all the "supporting documents" to hand in that day or can she courier them another day?
For the actual biometrics appointment, she just needs to take her passport and some other ID with her. My partner took her passport, driving license and birth certificate. She also needs to take a copy of the email confirming her biometrics appointment.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
For the actual biometrics appointment, she just needs to take her passport and some other ID with her. My partner took her passport, driving license and birth certificate. She also needs to take a copy of the email confirming her biometrics appointment.
I think it might be different in Canada where Beijing06's loved one is applying-I think the applicant takes everything to the biometrics appointment where part of the appointment involves checking the documents, and receiving a container for the paperwork.

I can't remember who it was that has been through the process already in Canada, it seems I recall at least two members here posting that they had taken their documents to the biometrics appointment though, per instructions received during the booking phase of the application process online.

@Beijing06, when your GF makes her biometrics appointment she will be instructed to print out a page that will have a barcode and instructions on it. She'll need to be sure to read that page and all accompanying information carefully, but I'm almost positive she will be instructed to bring all of her documents with her to the appointment.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thanks for pointing that one out, AIS - I wasn't aware of differences in Canada. Duly noted! :D
I was really amazed to read on several different websites how much the WorldBridge company does as a partner with the UKBA, and how different the available services are between countries where they are the liaison! In several countries they collect everything at the biometrics appointment and send it off, receive it back and contact the applicant for pick-up of passports, etc.

In the US, as you know from your partner's experience, once the applicant is redirected to Visa4UK from the WB site, unless the applicant is going to use the priority service, that redirect is the last the applicant sees of WB, lol!

In Canada, from what I read, it varies as to how much beyond checking the docs at the biometrics appointment-in some areas of Canada WB will collect the docs and then return them to the applicant once a determination has been made. But in others (and I seem to recall Vancouver is one) WB checks the docs in the appointment, then gives the applicant an envelope or box, pre-addressed, and the applicant is responsible for getting the container to the courier of choice.

And I think in Central and South America WB does everything as well. It's all too interesting to an old bureaucrat like me, it's an amazing lot of responsibility-they must be very well organised for it to work as well as it does, considering.

Hopefully one of the Canadians will read this thread and post in about how it worked for them, though, it's the only way to be certain.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
I was really amazed to read on several different websites how much the WorldBridge company does as a partner with the UKBA, and how different the available services are between countries where they are the liaison! In several countries they collect everything at the biometrics appointment and send it off, receive it back and contact the applicant for pick-up of passports, etc.

In the US, as you know from your partner's experience, once the applicant is redirected to Visa4UK from the WB site, unless the applicant is going to use the priority service, that redirect is the last the applicant sees of WB, lol!

In Canada, from what I read, it varies as to how much beyond checking the docs at the biometrics appointment-in some areas of Canada WB will collect the docs and then return them to the applicant once a determination has been made. But in others (and I seem to recall Vancouver is one) WB checks the docs in the appointment, then gives the applicant an envelope or box, pre-addressed, and the applicant is responsible for getting the container to the courier of choice.

And I think in Central and South America WB does everything as well. It's all too interesting to an old bureaucrat like me, it's an amazing lot of responsibility-they must be very well organised for it to work as well as it does, considering.

Hopefully one of the Canadians will read this thread and post in about how it worked for them, though, it's the only way to be certain.
That's good to know that the Vancouver office will peruse my stuff to make sure that it's in order (not that I won't have gone over it and the extended guidance notes with a fine tooth comb like a hundred times beforehand) and give me a pre-addressed envelope/box for my application... it's unnerving enough to go and get all of this done, and for them to extend the courtesy of providing a SAE is very helpful (I had visions of going postal at the local Staples store on the night before my appointment, trying to find an envelope big enough for my application).

Sadly, only those who are lucky (unlucky?... yes, I'm showing my Vancouver bias here) enough to be able to submit their biometrics at the Toronto consulate have the ability to leave their paperwork and have that location forward it on to NYC... one would have thought that the people in Ottawa (where the High Commission is) would be able to do this as well, but like everyone else not within easy reach of Toronto, we all have to ship it at our own expense.

Reactions: 2farapart

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That's good to know that the Vancouver office will peruse my stuff to make sure that it's in order (not that I won't have gone over it and the extended guidance notes with a fine tooth comb like a hundred times beforehand) and give me a pre-addressed envelope/box for my application... it's unnerving enough to go and get all of this done, and for them to extend the courtesy of providing a SAE is very helpful (I had visions of going postal at the local Staples store on the night before my appointment, trying to find an envelope big enough for my application).

Sadly, only those who are lucky (unlucky?... yes, I'm showing my Vancouver bias here) enough to be able to submit their biometrics at the Toronto consulate have the ability to leave their paperwork and have that location forward it on to NYC... one would have thought that the people in Ottawa (where the High Commission is) would be able to do this as well, but like everyone else not within easy reach of Toronto, we all have to ship it at our own expense.
LOL, WWCG, it's a business-I have no doubt the CAD is in there somewhere in multiples.

I thought it was Toronto that collects and sends, but wasn't sure.

In the US applicants who use USPostalService usually pick up the padded envelope or box at the PO when they take the bundle to be sent, it's the same with UPS and FedEx-walk in and choose the container. Makes it a little easier, but then again, the applicant has to queue for the address label, and in some smaller POs, has to queue for the container-then leave the queue to go find a table to fill in the label before re-queueing...that's a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
yes it did say to bring everything with me. Gave a long list of all the things I should bring along and the more the better...
I'm looking forward to reading your report on the appointment but lol, with the crowd you're taking, you may need the evening to recuperate before you can post in a description of the appointment.

At least now Beijing06's answer has a qualified answer from someone going through the Vancouver experience-Yes, bring it all!

·
Registered
189 Posts
haha I truly will need some rest time...will post on Thurs my recap! :)

Getting up at 330am to be ready for the 5am bus to the 620am ferry...have a number of other things to do in the city so it will be a full and busy day! home by the suppertime ferry hopefully!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.