Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I just recieved the last of the documents I needed from my fiance and I'm going to get the documents sent out overnight via fed ex today. My question is because it is a holiday weekend here in the USA, my biometrics was on May 8th so I assume the documents must be recieved or postmarked by May 21st but where it's a holiday weekend will anyone be at the office in New York to recieve them? And do the documents have to be recieved within 14 days or sent within 14 days??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Sent within the 14 days, and can actually send them on the morning of the 14th day (but you really don't want to wait that long)-as long as the postmark is for the day. It's the postmark that counts, although there is the provision on the UKBA site that if for some reason they can't read the postmark they will use the day prior to the delivery as the postmarked date.

I actually sent my packet out on a Friday and the following Monday was a holiday, can't remember if it was a US or Bank holiday, but any way, USPS attempted delivery on Sat (roflol) and then again on Monday, and FINALLY the UKBA took receipt on Tuesday.

And then, lol, I waited a few more days to get the email from the UKBA that they'd opened and organised my application.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Forgive me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that Monday is not a holiday in the US or the UK. Maybe you are thinking Memorial Day but I am about 99% sure that it isn't until next Monday, the 28th...

Hopefully I am correct and you have nothing to worry about either way.

If I am wrong then this whole process has really gotten to my head and I am finally going mad.

:) Shelly

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Forgive me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that Monday is not a holiday in the US or the UK. Maybe you are thinking Memorial Day but I am about 99% sure that it isn't until next Monday, the 28th...

Hopefully I am correct and you have nothing to worry about either way.

If I am wrong then this whole process has really gotten to my head and I am finally going mad.

:) Shelly
Oh good catch, Shellybeans! Monday is a holiday in Canada-it's Victoria Day, but I don't think it's a bank or public holiday in the UK, and I know it isn't celebrated in the US...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
And in the UK (this year) it's a bit of a muddle because of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. I work for a Whitehall government department (alas not the Home Office :D ) and the usual end May bank holiday (28th May) has been moved to the first week of June for a 3-day public holiday (Monday 4th - 6th June). I don't know whether UKBA is similarly switched too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So is the UKBA in New York closed for both English and American holidays? Wondering about Memorial Day coming up as it falls in the middle of my 12 day wait...

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
So is the UKBA in New York closed for both English and American holidays? Wondering about Memorial Day coming up as it falls in the middle of my 12 day wait...
Yes, as they do at all embassies and consulates. So if you want a lot of paid holidays, work in one!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did freak out a bit though because I applied at Fed Ex on their computers for the worldbridge priority service and Fed Ex told me they had to label my box with tomorrow's date because the last shipment had already gone out!!! Luckily the girl had the forethought to include a copy of my reciept which says today's date in the reciept envelope, but I had a frazzled moment!

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
It's Armed Forces Day this weekend so I wasn't sure if that would affect anything here in America?
but where it's a holiday weekend will anyone be at the office in New York to recieve them?
Armed Forces Day is celebrated on Saturday. The British Consulate in NYC is closed on Saturdays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.