Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three more questions that I need help with please....

Q1/

As my girlfriend and i have known each other for 7 years, we obviously have a lot of e/mail and yahoo messenger evidence printed off to submit as part of the supporting documents - but it weighs 2-3kgs

Is it best to submit all of this history or would you think it is best to thin it out with a few messages to each month ?

Q2/

My girlfriend will submit her application in Vancouver by the 30th May 2012. Anyone know how much notice she will need to make her appointment for the biometric fingerprints and photographs in Vancouver, if she wants to submit by the above date?

Q3/

I have written a letter of invitation for my girlfriend to submit to the UKBA explaining my feelings for her and my desire for her to live with me .
However - i need to know if this letter should be addressed to HER or to the UKBA ?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help urgently answer the above questions.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Q1-by all means, thin that heap down! One representative email per month to show continuing communication is plenty. We sent that and it seemed to be ok with UKBA-I did get my visa.

Q2-to be clear, you say she will submit her application in Vancouver on the 30th-has she already made her application online?

I submitted in the US; in Canada it's a little different-your girlfriend must apply online and at a certain point in the online application process (after payment is made and accepted) she will be prompted to chose and book an appointment to give her biometrics and her hard copy application along with all supporting documents. She should pay very close attention to all of the arrangements and instructions given throughout the process. It's a stressful process and things can be missed.

We have several members who have applied through Canada and they'll probably be posting in any time now to clarify or correct my post:)

Q3-Both yours and her letters should be addressed to the UKBA Vancouver if that is the office you will be submitting through.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Am in Vancouver at the minute and wondering these same questions as well.

1) I've managed drastically thin out my previously 57 sheets of 8½"x11" double sided printouts of my e-mails to Ed to about half of that. I will be providing a guide to the emails (i.e. "Introductions & First Meetings" "Romance Begins" "Hopes and dreams for the future" "Post-Ed's Canada Visit" "Kate's Second UK flight booked" that sort of thing) so that the ECO evaluating our application can see that while we've only known each other for just under a year to this point, we're both looking forward to being together in the future and have tried our best to see each other on a regular basis (d*mned w*rk keeps getting in the way).

I'm adding a selection of Skype chat records (including a shot of my adding Ed to my friends list)... these are in the form of screenshots on 2 double sided 8½"x11" sheets of paper, a couple of Ed's original 3.co.uk cell bills (he has a killer long distance calling and international texting plan, so he rings me on his mobile). Hopefully this won't be information overload for the poor ECO.

We will also furnish a number of original "photo shop" photos (i.e. 4"x6" photo cards that one would get from Snappy Snaps or 1 Hour photo places) and plain paper copies showing myself and Ed together in Vancouver and in Yorkshire. It is my hope that by sending plain paper copies of the photos, the UKBA will return to us the 4"x6".

2) I'm filling out the application online on July 7th. I am hoping that this will be far enough in advance to let me choose a July 23rd Biometrics appointment date at the Vancouver Consulate. Ed will be visiting me here at that time and he will come with me to the Biometrics appointment. We are hoping to get the first or one of the first early morning appointments on that Monday so that it will give us enough time to haul arse over to the local DHL office (6 minute walk away from the Consulate) so that we can get the package out to New York that afternoon. Sadly, only the Toronto office has the ability to send packages to New York, so it's up to us to get it out ASAP. I was thinking I might want to get Priority processing, but figured that since I don't intend to leave until the end of September, it's not worth it and that the 12 business day turn around time is actually quite reasonable. I am also hoping that the turn around time will go back down to the 9 days it was previously, considering that the Olympic rush will have passed by the time I do my Biometrics.

3) I should think that since the whole application package has to go to WorldBridge in New York, the letters should be addressed to the NYC UKBA office? I am a little unclear on who will be looking at the application... do I need to send my application off to New York or will the Vancouver office issue it? I've seen references here that New York does it, yet on the UKBA site, it gives a 5 day turnaround time for the Vancouver office to process settlement visas.

Can someone please clarify? It may only be CAD ~$100 to courier my package to New York, but that same $100 would help in the bankrolling of my wedding (it will almost cover the cost of alterations on my wedding gown).

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have some questions to add here about doing the biometrics in Vancouver...when I submit my application online (hoping May 24 or 25...just waiting on documents to arrive from UK) and it asks me to choose a biometrics appointment, will it give me the same choices for times when I do each of my three children after my application? I would hate us all to be separated by days or something for the biometrics since it is a ferry ride and a day trip for us to go to Vancouver!

Also, the total for all 4 ancestry applications will be 1080 GBP...that converts to approx $1742.00. Now I only have a credit limit on my card of $1700 but my mum said I can use her card for one of the applications...will this look bad if I use her card to pay for one of them?

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
I have some questions to add here about doing the biometrics in Vancouver...when I submit my application online (hoping May 24 or 25...just waiting on documents to arrive from UK) and it asks me to choose a biometrics appointment, will it give me the same choices for times when I do each of my three children after my application? I would hate us all to be separated by days or something for the biometrics since it is a ferry ride and a day trip for us to go to Vancouver!

Also, the total for all 4 ancestry applications will be 1080 GBP...that converts to approx $1742.00. Now I only have a credit limit on my card of $1700 but my mum said I can use her card for one of the applications...will this look bad if I use her card to pay for one of them?
Do you have a balance on your credit card? If you have a zero balance, can you go in and make a CAD $150-$200 payment AT THE ISSUING BANK BRANCH on Tuesday morning when it opens? If so, do that and ask them how long it will take for the payment to be posted to your account (I know that with RBC Visa, it's credited that same day). If you can't go into a branch on Tuesday but can do Internet/Telephone banking NOW (i.e. right now... i.e. this long weekend), throw them a payment NOW (it will take a couple of days for the payment to go through)

If you do have a balance, are you able to pay it off completely PLUS an extra $150-$200?

This will leave you in a credit situation of $150-$200 (whatever you paid over and above the amount needed to have brought your balance to zero).

Once the payment has been posted to your credit card (there should be a number on your credit card that you can call to get a current balance), you are now free to charge up to that amount without it being declined... the issuing bank will let you charge up to $1700, no questions asked, and since you've pre-paid extra money, it is there for you to use.

Good luck to you and Happy Two-Four weekend!

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Are you sure? I have zero balance and the card said even if I pay extra, my limit is still $1700. But surely if I have excess money paid on the card, it would allow it to go over? Here's hoping...
Your "Credit Limit" is different from "Available Credit."

Right now, your "AVAILABLE CREDIT" is 1700$ because you have $0 in unbilled charges and payments and your CREDIT LIMIT is $1700.

If you pay CAD $200 today through Internet banking and once the bank posts it to your credt card, your "AVAILABLE CREDIT" will be $1900 -- $0 balance on a $1700 Credit Limit PLUS your $200 PAYMENT = $1900 AVAILABLE CREDIT.

The bank CANNOT withhold access to payments you make on a $0 balance... YOU gave them that extra payment, so in return, they are willing to let you charge against that $200 that you paid IN ADDITION TO the $1700 that they capped your card at.

A lot of people with low limit cards buy big ticket items this way.... paying the difference between the cost of the item (including HST and other taxes) and the limit on their credit card onto the card PLUS paying whatever it takes to get the current balance on the card to $0 then using the card to buy the big ticket item. In your case, it's fairly easy... your balance is $0, so just pay at least $150 (to allow some wiggle room for a crappy exchange rate... the Loonie's been falling against £) and once the payment's on the account, you're in like Flynn.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me...off to post a $200 payment right now! :)

Now I just have to hope someone will reply about my biometrics appointment question and the children all being at the same appointment at me... :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me...off to post a $200 payment right now! :)

Now I just have to hope someone will reply about my biometrics appointment question and the children all being at the same appointment at me... :)

Cheers!
Check the site, I think there are special instructions for group appointments-it may be a phone number to call to book for 'large group' or it may be something else, but I have seen it for other applications and I see no reason there should be a difference in Canada.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So far I am unable to see where that info is...but I am wondering what will happen when I do each application one after the other, if it does not offer me the biometrics choices for each of us on the same day...would I just choose whatever they offer and then find that number to call to rearrange whatever I had chosen?

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
So far I am unable to see where that info is...but I am wondering what will happen when I do each application one after the other, if it does not offer me the biometrics choices for each of us on the same day...would I just choose whatever they offer and then find that number to call to rearrange whatever I had chosen?
That's what you should do: make separate appointments one after the other. You choose the time and date, so you know appointments will be close together. Even if they are slightly apart, when you turn up as a family group, they may agree to do all biometrics together.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thanks, fingers crossed! :)
Found a bit on groups arriving for appointments in Vancouver-turns out you make individual appointments:

If you are part of a family or group, each member of the family or group must make an individual appointment. For example, if you are a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 children you must make 4 individual appointments.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/canada/applying/book-appointment/?langname=null

Lol, Google really IS your friend. I used the search term(without quotation marks) "ukba group biometric appointments vancouver, canada" and the first hit was the one I linked above. Amazing thing, Google, I wasn't really expecting it to bring that good a result, frankly.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
thanks for that...I sure hope all 4 appointments are on the same day at least! :)
I don't know what you would do if the available appointments can't be made on the same day, it's a little odd that there isn't an arrangement for group appointments like there is here for one-day service on FLR and ILR apps. Seems I recall there was something in the US for group appointments too. I dunno, maybe they don't get that much call for group appointments in Vancouver?

Good luck, fingers crossed that you are able to make same day consecutive appointments!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UK settlement Query >>>

Hello again,

Many thanks to all those who replied with great advice / answers to Q1 / Q2 yesterday.

On my 3rd question - i need to clarify again with this question regarding making the appointment for passport photographs and biometric fingerprinting...

Q3/

If my girlfriend makes an appointment in the Vancouver office for the above, what is the usual waiting time from phoning up - to actually going to the appointment to complete the fingerprints / photos ........ 1 week ? 10 days ? 2 weeks ?

Anyone got experience of this in Vancouver or general rule of thumb timescales ..?

Thanks in advance again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.