Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got mugged yesterday in Barceloneta, and still shaking. There was much help and kindness from people who witnessed it and the Policia were really great, but my confidence took an awful knock. Has anybody had similar happening before?

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
I got mugged yesterday in Barceloneta, and still shaking. There was much help and kindness from people who witnessed it and the Policia were really great, but my confidence took an awful knock. Has anybody had similar happening before?
No, thank goodness, but I have found people slyly putting a hand in my bag on more than one occasion. It must be a very upsetting experience. Thank goodness the people around you were sympathetic. My (Spanish) husband was mugged in an underground car park in Madrid many years ago and was jumpy when going out at night for months, so I know it's not to be taken lightly. It's difficult to know what to do, but going around clutching your valuables to your chest is not a good idea, nor is nonchantly throwing caution to the wind and leaving your bag on the chair next to you whilst having coffee.
If you are easily identified as being foreign you'll have to take it for granted that you might be more of a target than others. Looking like you know where you're going also has a lot to do with it IMO. Once you know your way around the city and you step more purposely, an once you acquire clothes bought here and adopt more Spanish/ Catalan habits you just blend in more.
I have to say Barcelona is wel known for this kind of incident so maybe it's just a forgone conclusion if you're living there???

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Sorry to hear about your horrible experience. I've never been mugged, but have been the victim of pickpockets four times (only once in Spain) and had my house broken into twice (once in the UK, once in Spain).

That felt bad enough, you initially feel sick and very shocked, then anger sets in, and you are left feeling nervous and vulnerable. But don't let them win by feeling afraid to go out, just make sure you have insurance and take basic precautions such as Pesky Wesky has described, and don't carry valuables or too much cash around with you, keep a small amount of cash somewhere else than in your purse or wallet in case the worst happens, and have the phone numbers to cancel your debit and credit cards handy.

I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the good advice. I am afraid I do look very much a tourist, and being fairskinned ,with British clothes, and not much Espanol.I`m on holiday, but intending to settle here, but not in Barcelona, but in Lloret de mar. Y es I`m making an effort to go out and about, but feel vulnerable. In spite of all that, I am enchanted with Spain, and not put off settling here.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Thank you very much for the good advice. I am afraid I do look very much a tourist, and being fairskinned ,with British clothes, and not much Espanol.I`m on holiday, but intending to settle here, but not in Barcelona, but in Lloret de mar. Y es I`m making an effort to go out and about, but feel vulnerable. In spite of all that, I am enchanted with Spain, and not put off settling here.
In our first year of living in Prague, we were the 'victims' of attempted muggings five times. I say 'victims' since although we were involved in these incidents we fought back, in two cases with very loud shouted obscene curses which made the would-be assailants back off, once when I chased a young Roma lad with one of those Nordic walking sticks when he tried to rob us in a supermarket, once when I held my very long, pointed car keys menacingly at assailant's groin level and once, when my OH gave a thief who tried to take her bag as she boarded the airport bus such a sharp blow to the goolies with her knee that he fell backwards off the bus.....
However.....it was very rare to experience violence with these thefts and I think , looking back, that these scumbags were amazed to have the tables turned...they didn't expect to come across mature British ladies who swore like troopers and were prepared to be physical.

I do hope that you weren't physically harmed and yes, it's a very unpleasant experience. After that first year we weren't bothered again, mainly, I think, because we became ultra-conscious of our surroundings and I personally began to size up people around me and either steer clear of odd-looking characters or give them fierce 'Don't mess with me' eye contact.
I know it's easy to say, but do try not to feel vulnerable. That can sometimes send out signals. Remember these low-lifes are a tiny minority of any city anywhere in the world.
Each one of our muggers was Roma...but I have no prejudice against Roma. Just the thieving ones.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
In our first year of living in Prague, we were the 'victims' of attempted muggings five times. I say 'victims' since although we were involved in these incidents we fought back, in two cases with very loud shouted obscene curses which made the would-be assailants back off, once when I chased a young Roma lad with one of those Nordic walking sticks when he tried to rob us in a supermarket, once when I held my very long, pointed car keys menacingly at assailant's groin level and once, when my OH gave a thief who tried to take her bag as she boarded the airport bus such a sharp blow to the goolies with her knee that he fell backwards off the bus.....
However.....it was very rare to experience violence with these thefts and I think , looking back, that these scumbags were amazed to have the tables turned...they didn't expect to come across mature British ladies who swore like troopers and were prepared to be physical.
:DYour story made me remember another incident - I was once walking through Manchester city centre around 9pm on my way home after working late, and two young lads no more than 13 years old passed me. The next minute, one of them tried to snatch my handbag from my shoulder. Instinctively, I spun round and backhanded one of them across the face so hard he staggered back. If I'd thought about it I probably wouldn't have done it but I just couldn't help myself. I said "you'll pick on somebody else next time, won't you, now f··· off you little toerag" as they stood there gawping. And they did! The element of surprise definitely works I think, they don't expect a respectable looking middle aged woman to behave like that!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes , it seems that a bit of learning on my part is not a bad thing, but I am not very fierce usually, however a money belt or something about my person not too obvious would give me resources to get help , taxis , police, if I need.And to carry small amounts of cash.And leave the credit card at home if not essential. I usually have a feeling for danger, have done sometimes, but this geezer came and pulled my bag from me very quickly from behind so I had not seen him.He was a away fast on a bicycle. I guess he `d have it down to a fine art, with an element of surprise.
I live and learn.And I`m going to eat out this evening , even though I am a bit chicken. Hope there`s not chicken on the menu !
thanks for sympathetic ears

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Home in dear old UK, again, hello rainy Scotland. My deal fell through in Barcelona, but I`ll be back to sunny Spain a.s.a.p.
On my househunt, to find that ideal des res. Catalunya , Alicante, where is it good to look, best prices, nice places...
Any ideas ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts