Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, it looks like I'm off to France in January to study French. I haven't posted many times here, just an observer really, but the information has been great, especially from Bev. What really shocked me during the whole process though was the speed in terms of receiving my student visa. I applied for it on a Monday and received it the next Tuesday (DC consulate). Who said the French government works slowly? I would suggest one thing though. When you go to the consulate, have all of your copies with you and have all of your papers in the order they are listed on the instructions. It really seemed to annoy the consular workers when people went up there without copies or missing information.

So here is my piece of advice to you all: To those of you who are thinking about taking that step and trying to go to France, England, Australia, the U.S., wherever, just go ahead and do it. Whether it be a permanent move or just to study, just do it. What's the worst that could happen? You go, you hate it, and you go back home. At least you will know you gave it a shot and you won't be looking back 20 years later wondering what could have been. Salut mes amis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats! You are going to love living and studying in France! Might I ask in which city you are going to be? I studied abroad in Lyon for 8 months and absolutely fell in love with the French way of life, so much so that I came back over here to do an internship, but this time in Paris. I can't get enough of this place!

As for your visa, you were very lucky in that aspect. I have applied twice for a student visa, and I received my first visa the day before I left for France and the second time I received it the day that I left for France. It was a nightmare! I also applied 3 months in advance both times and even went up there once without an appointment to see what was going on and was told to come back the next day. But I went to the Atlanta consulate, maybe they run things a little differently.

Congrats again and I wish you a most wonderful time in France! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.