Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

After reading through hundreds of posts in this forum for months and months my partner and I submitted our unmarried partner visa application yesterday at the Croydon premium service centre and it was successful! I wanted to say a big thank you to the moderators who helped with answering all of my questions. It’s such a nerve wracking process and I found this forum extremely useful and comforting knowing I wasn’t the only one going through it.

I am an Australian citizen and my partner is a British citizen. I was on a Youth Mobility visa for two years and we applied on the day that my YMS visa expired.

Our appointment was at 8.00am. We waited about 2.5 hours for a decision to be made after having biometrics taken.

Our case was a little complicated as we have lived at five different addresses over the two year period almost half of which were actually in Australia. During the 24 months we held two leases together (including our current one) but we also lived with family and multiple friends. Additionally there was a 6 week period in which we were apart when my partner relocated to back Sydney for work. Because of this I wanted to play it safe and sought a lawyer for some advice. He did not handle our entire case (I do not believe you need anyone to handle your whole case) but he looked through all of the documents I had gathered and advised on any additional documents he thought I needed.

Because we only lived together at a couple of the addresses for a short period of time, I was seriously lacking in official documentation for those addresses (my partners documentation was fine). Because of this, he told us that we should supply any documents that connected me with those addresses even if they were not official e.g., online shopping invoices etc so we did. Additionally we supplied statutory declarations from myself, my partner, my mother & father and his mother where I was lacking in cohabitation evidence as well as letters from family and friends whom we lived with.

I noticed multiple times throughout the application process that the Home Office actually requests letters from family/friends you have lived with to be provided. I also read multiple times on this forum people saying that they ‘hold no weight’ but I feel like that may be changing now if they are requesting them. I could be wrong.

We may have gone overboard on our cohabitation evidence with unofficial documents (our whole application pile was quite extensive, it filled three of the plastic sleeves they supply for you at the appointment) however I felt it was better to include them than to not have it at all. I have decided not to post our table of contents as it was so long but feel free to ask if you’re interested.

Something to note – they really appreciated that we supplied a pile of copies, especially because our pile was so big.

So again, a big thank you and good luck to everyone with their applications!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
If the only evidence you have of living together is testimony from family, friends or housemates, then it will carry some weight. What they don't pay much attention to is character reference from friends and families stating what a wonderful, committed couple you are etc, as it's completely subjective and you would only ask people who will say the right thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so glad to hear that your application was successful.

I am in a similar situation, is there any chance you can go in to a bit more detail about the documents and declarations you ended up supplying to cover the times when your 'official' evidence was lacking?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Congratulations!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.