Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Please suggest which one is good from the given suburbs here in and around Victoria Park.

East Perth, Burswood, Lathlain, South Perth, Victoria Park,Carlisle, Kensington,
East Victoria Park.

Rent budget 350 AUD per week and close to shops, public transport.

Any other suburbs suggestion also welcome.

Many Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi, some of these are quite expensive suburbs, popular with young professionals so rents can be high. East Perth, South Perth and Burswood in particular have a lot of new apartments, $350 may be enough for a 1 or 2 bed apartment or very small house but you could struggle in those areas to find much in your budget. Carlisle and Victoria Park can be a bit more reasonable as is kensington and a small 3bd house or 2/3 bedroom apartment will probably be in your price range.

It really depends what you want from your location, the ones you've listed are relatively close to the city and all that that brings in convinience of shopping and entertainment options. The further you move outwards from the CBD the more you will be able to afford in terms of property on $350 per week.

In my opinion public transport is very good in Perth, I live in the northern suburbs and it takes me 45 mins to get to the centre of Perth every day. When we moved out we bought a map of Perth and then highlighted the main trainlines. We then looked at suburbs either side till we found something we liked using some of the Perth Rental websites.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a very good suggestion. Thank you.

May I know...You live in which suburb in the northern area? If its good and within the rental budget,then I might as well choose the same.

Cheers.

Sent from my ipad using Expat Forum

·
Registered
111 Posts
No problem, we live in the Ocean Reef / Mullaloo area. We choose our area on the basis of schooling, transport and lifestyle. There are plenty of options for shopping and eating out in the Joodalup area, we don't travel into the city mauch at the weekends as everything we need is in this or the surrounding area.

The further North you go the cheaper you're rent will be and obvously the longer you'll spend going into Perth for work. So Clarkson is generally cheaper than Currumbine, which in turn is cheaper than Ocean Reef which is cheaper than Duncraig and so on the further South you go. Suburbs on the coast are more expensive that suburbs slightly inland. Try sites like www.domain.com.au or Perth real estate WA, property land new homes developments for sale rent REIWA which you can see rental prices.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I agree with Marcus - I live in East Perth and have not seen any property within your budget. I'm paying nearly double that for my 2-bed apartment. South Perth is also very upmarket as a lot of the properties overlook the river and hence come at a premium.

My cousin currently lives in Nollamara and she pays $350 a week for a 3-bed house. My other cousin also used to live in Osborne Park and she was paying $300 a week for a 2-bed house (5 mins walk from Gelndalough station). Not sure about Nollamara but if you base yourself close to Glendalough station, you should be in the CBD within 10 - 15 minutes by train.

A lot of my colleagues also live in Joondalup, which is about 25 - 30 mins by train from the CBD. I was down that way a week ago and definitely like the area - loads of amenities.

Food would also cost a bit more if you are based close to the CBD, so that would be something that you would need to factor in. Whilst it is more convenient to live in or close to CBD, most people only live there for a few months and then move. I'm planning to move outside of the city after 6 months - I'll get a lot more space for far less money!

·
Registered
3 Posts
@xMarcusx..... I am new to this Forum, and hope to move to Perth by the end of May next year, but are currently awating an offer of employment. Most of my property searches have centred around the Quinns, Connoly, Clarkson area....dont know why but it just looks nice from this end!!!
seeing that you have newly located yourself, how would you rate this as an area to live in? are the schools ok there? (primary), and lastly, my wife has concerns that she would feel isolated, I for one would make friends through work etc, but she still has concerns...

any advice would be great,

kind regards,

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi izabajan before we came out we had watched the bbc wanted down under and c4 Phil down under programmes about Perth over and over again we found those which focussed on the northern suburbs really good, if you haven't seen these I'd recommend you check them out. I think the phil ones are on YouTube and iTunes. Quinns, Clarkson, Butler and Mindarie often feature strongly in these programmes and we considered these areas too. These are relatively new suburbs so all the housing is also new, there is also a huge percentage of the population who are uk or irish expats so new migrants won't feel alone. Rents are also reasonable for a family sized house and there are local facilities for shopping and entertainment.

We enjoy going up to Mindarie to sit by the harbour and have a coffee.

We choose to live a bit further South for a few reasons but primarily transport to the CBD for my work. The highway stops at Currambine and the transperth rail's last stop is Clarkson at the moment, although it is being extended further north. It takes about 40 mins on the train from the centre to Clarkson plus potentially a bus journey to get to the station and around 60 mins in rush hour on the car.

Meeting new people is always a worry if you are not working, my wife met her first friends through taking the children to school and the local park. Joining some clubs has also helped. We made good friends within 3-4 months of being here and there is so much to do when you arrive that we were very rarely unoccupied for the first month. Skype and Facebook etc mean that family and friends in the UK never feel to far away in those first few days.

·
Registered
111 Posts
xMarcusx said:
Hi izabajan before we came out we had watched the bbc wanted down under and c4 Phil down under programmes about Perth over and over again we found those which focussed on the northern suburbs really good, if you haven't seen these I'd recommend you check them out. I think the phil ones are on YouTube and iTunes. Quinns, Clarkson, Butler and Mindarie often feature strongly in these programmes and we considered these areas too. These are relatively new suburbs so all the housing is also new, there is also a huge percentage of the population who are uk or irish expats so new migrants won't feel alone. Rents are also reasonable for a family sized house and there are local facilities for shopping and entertainment.

We enjoy going up to Mindarie to sit by the harbour and have a coffee.

We choose to live a bit further South for a few reasons but primarily transport to the CBD for my work. The highway stops at Currambine and the transperth rail's last stop is Clarkson at the moment, although it is being extended further north. It takes about 40 mins on the train from the centre to Clarkson plus potentially a bus journey to get to the station and around 60 mins in rush hour on the car.

Meeting new people is always a worry if you are not working, my wife met her first friends through taking the children to school and the local park. Joining some clubs has also helped. We made good friends within 3-4 months of being here and there is so much to do when you arrive that we were very rarely unoccupied for the first month. Skype and Facebook etc mean that family and friends in the UK never feel to far away in those first few days.
Sorry forgot schools :) I don't have any personal experience of the government schools in the Clarkson area. I have been told by a teacher friend that comparatively they do not appear to perform highly compared to the state averages however this is partly a reflection on the number of new children constantly starting at school, who have to be integrated into the curriculum. There are some private catholic primary schools in the area and also a large Anglican School. Peter Moyes which I have visited and it is lovely.

Connelly and the surrounding areas, Ocean Reef, Currambine etc are all very nice in my opinion. We use the local catholic primary school and are very pleased with it. The wa department of education publish school results on their website that will allow you to compare these if you want to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
many thanks for the info, its really useful to know this type of stuff from someaone whom has been through what we are proposing to do. How does the cost of living compare? We currently live in surrey and I Work in the London area. we would be coming on a 457 with an offer of employment. I will probaly come alone for the first few months at the beginning of June and my wife will stay in the UK with my girls so that they can finish the school year and spend the summer with their friends..... this hopefully will allow me the time to get the home sorted and sort out cars etc......Blimey the cars are expensive out there!!!
Still i cant help feeling guilty at taking the girls away from their grandparents...natural I suppose, but I'm doing this for them, to give them opportunities that I never had, to give them a life in a better place, where the emphasis seems to be about the family, sharing an outside existence, not one where we hibernate every winter!!! thanks for advice, it is truly appreciated

·
Registered
111 Posts
The cost of living can seem expensive, particulary if you think about a straight conversion from $ to GBP, but when you're here hasn't seemed to be for day to essentials. Used Cars are more expensive as they hold they're value. A combination of the good weather and a lack of MOT means they run and run but there are plenty of places to look for a bargin either at small dealers or on guntree. One thing you should investigate if you are on a 457 is if your employer does the living away from home allowance (LAFHA) this is a tax break of sorts for people on this visa. (One which you lose when apply for PR) as we discovered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.