Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty sensitive skin. One of the things my skin reacts to most strongly is perfume. (And I get headaches & runny noses from perfumes.). NOB I use the Free & Gentle line of Tide and Downy. I haven't seen them, or anything close.

I bought theoretically hypoallergenic Más Bebé & Ensueño Bebé. Ugh. Everything smells like baby powder now. I am a little itchy, but no hives yet. The scent, however, makes me want to jump off a bridge. Any ideas?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have pretty sensitive skin. One of the things my skin reacts to most strongly is perfume. (And I get headaches & runny noses from perfumes.). NOB I use the Free & Gentle line of Tide and Downy. I haven't seen them, or anything close.

I bought theoretically hypoallergenic Más Bebé & Ensueño Bebé. Ugh. Everything smells like baby powder now. I am a little itchy, but no hives yet. The scent, however, makes me want to jump off a bridge. Any ideas?
I also have sensitive skin (I miss my white dial bar soap). Check with Costco. They have some sort of Tide on sale at the moment. We tried quite a few laundry cleaners over time and have settled on the big orange jug from Kirkland. It may have a scent - but if so I've grown use to it. In the past, if we purchase a cleaner and get home to find the scent oppressive - we return it - no questions asked.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also have sensitive skin (I miss my white dial bar soap). Check with Costco. They have some sort of Tide on sale at the moment. We tried quite a few laundry cleaners over time and have settled on the big orange jug from Kirkland. It may have a scent - but if so I've grown use to it. In the past, if we purchase a cleaner and get home to find the scent oppressive - we return it - no questions asked.
Thank you! I hadn't thought about Costco for that. Another reason to join. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me reiterate something: at no point did I demand the same products found in the US. Instead, I merely asked about available substitutes, given that allergies are hardly confined to those born in the US.
Thank you, Gatos & RVGRINGO, and probably Isla Verde, for your thoughtful, relevant, and helpful suggestions.

I have seen Ace detergent. So far, I've only come across the standard blue product in an orange bottle, which would be better than smelling like a diaper change. And maybe there's hope for finding something unscented. I've heard rumors of 7th Generation (I think that's the brand) being available in Puerto Vallarta, but I can't remember where. I know from experience that it is not Soriana. Maybe I'll try Mega. And I plan to get a Costco membership soon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Costco near us does not have Ace - or I didn't see it when I walked the aisles recently. They do have Tide and the Kirkland product. Walmart near us does have Ace - but I didn't see Tide.
I've only been to one of the Walmarts in PV. It has Ace--several scented varieties. It also has ONE LONELY BOTTLE of Tide with I think some hideous lavender scent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am similarly sensitive. I purchase mine from my local health food store. I see you live in Puerto Vallarta, and I feel pretty confident you can find something in that area that works for you. I would bet your health food store would carry something for you, or at least direct you to a possible place that does sell.

I find that I can get nearly everything here, in some form or another, that I can get in the States. It just takes a little sleuthing. There is not the one-stop-fits-all type of shopping...at least not in my town.

I also use Mercado Libre quite a bit for buying such purchases. I hope this helps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.