Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are rumors that Royal Duty Free in Subic is going out of business. Seems possible with the new malls and other stores in the area now. Is there any truth to the rumor in this article?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I doubt it. They have more customers than any of the other "duty free" stores and have the best prices. Unlike Pure Gold Duty Free, they carry a lot of local goods in addition to imports. We go to the wet market about once a week and to Royal at least twice a week for the rest of our groceries. We rarely shop at SM supermarket (in Olongapo) and Pure Gold supermarket (at Harbor Point) because the prices are higher than Royal. Royal is packed every weekend starting on Friday, and there are busloads of tourists / customers in the evenings as they make it the last stop before heading back home to Manila.

They just opened a second store last spring. It is smaller but very nice. It does not get as much traffic so perhaps the rumor is that the newer one will close? I doubt that too. They are building a new Savers building right behind it and it should pickup the traffic.

I don't think they really have a direct competition with Harbor Point, the only new mall. Different business model.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The royal mall is great for me as I've found the closest thing yet to english sausage (when they have it in stock!). Prices do seem better than Pure Gold.

Where is their second store? I'll have to have a walk about round there as there looks to be a addias and nike outlet there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The royal mall is great for me as I've found the closest thing yet to english sausage (when they have it in stock!). Prices do seem better than Pure Gold.

Where is their second store? I'll have to have a walk about round there as there looks to be a addias and nike outlet there.
The second and newest store is 2 blocks towards the bay from Harbor Point mall, on the corner of Manila ave and Canal.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Its smaller less selection but open later (9pm)..
Also, if you are really hot, go in the front door and stand in the area outside the registers, near the windows. They have some giant air cons blowing on that area and I think it is the coolest spot in Subic! :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find proper bacon from? Not the streaky stuff but proper "back" bacon.
Bacon is tough here. I don't think your proper bacon is what I am used to from the US, but I found one thin streaky one I liked, Swift brand. They used to carry it at SM but I have not seen it recently.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Don, yeah I think UK and USA bacon varies quite a lot. Obviously ours is the proper stuff!!Lol. I'll keep my eye out for this swift one though.

The best sausages I've found so far are in Royal and are called "British Bangers"! small sausages about 5 or 6 in a packet, quite tastey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope they don't close. Royal is much better than Pure Gold. With the exception of some of the fruits, most of their prices are cheaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts