Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy! Am I glad I came to this forum!
I will be travelling to Australia in May 2010 on an Employer Sponsored 457 Work Visa. My wife will also need a Visa - she will travel as a dependent and will not work in Australia.
I am a doctor and my Employer sent me the employer sponsorship nomination approval letter today.
I have some queries - some of which are really basic!! You can laugh out loud at my queries - but do try to help me out after a good laugh!!

Q 1. Should I lodge an online application or send in a paper one - heard online is faster. Can I pay online using an Indian Credit card? Also do I need to send only 1 application with my wife as secondary person(s) or lodge 2 separate applications.
Also do i need my 457 approved before I apply for my wife?
When do i get allotted a Case Officer?
Other than a medical examination, is there anything I need to do before I start applying?

Q2. Health Insurance: according to the link in the Australian Immigration Site - Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) -
"Applicants for Subclass 457 visas will need to provide evidence that they have obtained adequate insurance before their visa can be granted."
I now am in India. The Visa will be for 4 years. Travel Insurance will cover for a max of 180 days. Do I need a Medibank policy or will Travel Insurance do.

Q 3. What are the documents that I need to attach with this application and what are the form numbers I need to fill?

Q 4. Character Requirements: Both my wife and I have Police Clearance Certificates from India. Are there any other requirements for this? Is there some Personal particular Forms (Form 80) that is needed?

Q 5. Does my wife need to do the IELTS for the Visa Application? She will not be working in Australia

Q 6. ........ . ..... . ..

I'm pretty sure I had about 20 questions in mind, but most seem to have disappeared after browsing this forum.

Anyway will keep asking as those questions pop up. Hope I get all my answers here.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi:

1. Either is fine, go for online one as most 457s do seem to apply that way. Dept. processes them at the same priority. You file one application for your family and your wife will also be on that one application. You get your visas at the same time and a sticker in each of your passports. Medicals and PCCs are the main tasks of a 457, write a good CV as well.
2. Get an AU Overseas Visitor medical insurance, that will cover you for normal medical in AU (i.e. GP visits, Dental). There are a few insurance companies in AU that provide it (look for visitor cover).
3. All info about forms is on the Immi website:
Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)
4. Form 80 is requested for some applications (I don't think it is for a 457, but it is for many PR applications).
5. No, the primary applicant requires IELTS, your wife is the secondary applicant/dependent.
6. Always check the Immi website for 457 info first, and read the links several times. It requires repetition as there is alot of info to go through.
You might also want to ask your employer about LAFHA (Living Away from Home Allowance). This is not Immigration related, but is sometimes given to those on 457 (additional $$$).

Boy! Am I glad I came to this forum!
I will be travelling to Australia in May 2010 on an Employer Sponsored 457 Work Visa. My wife will also need a Visa - she will travel as a dependent and will not work in Australia.
I am a doctor and my Employer sent me the employer sponsorship nomination approval letter today.
I have some queries - some of which are really basic!! You can laugh out loud at my queries - but do try to help me out after a good laugh!!

Q 1. Should I lodge an online application or send in a paper one - heard online is faster. Can I pay online using an Indian Credit card? Also do I need to send only 1 application with my wife as secondary person(s) or lodge 2 separate applications.
Also do i need my 457 approved before I apply for my wife?
When do i get allotted a Case Officer?
Other than a medical examination, is there anything I need to do before I start applying?

Q2. Health Insurance: according to the link in the Australian Immigration Site - Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) -
"Applicants for Subclass 457 visas will need to provide evidence that they have obtained adequate insurance before their visa can be granted."
I now am in India. The Visa will be for 4 years. Travel Insurance will cover for a max of 180 days. Do I need a Medibank policy or will Travel Insurance do.

Q 3. What are the documents that I need to attach with this application and what are the form numbers I need to fill?

Q 4. Character Requirements: Both my wife and I have Police Clearance Certificates from India. Are there any other requirements for this? Is there some Personal particular Forms (Form 80) that is needed?

Q 5. Does my wife need to do the IELTS for the Visa Application? She will not be working in Australia

Q 6. ........ . ..... . ..

I'm pretty sure I had about 20 questions in mind, but most seem to have disappeared after browsing this forum.

Anyway will keep asking as those questions pop up. Hope I get all my answers here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for those clarifications
I have a clarification about the Health Insurance Requirements. I checked with Medibank and they gave me a quote for about 5000$ for a couple for 1 year (the initial duration of my Visa). I really don't want to spend that much before a Visa Application!!!
I hope there is some other way of getting this done!
Any other 457 applicants - what did you do?

Next Query: When I fill in the online application in the English Language Aection it asks for both the IELTS score and also to put in a copy of proof that Education was in English. Are both these necessary? I have an IELTS score of 8.5 and thought that would be sufficient.

More queries as I continue my application.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi:

$5000 is high, but that would be for premium cover. If you can take slightly less cover (but still valid) try AustralianUnity.com.au and their standard cover. Also check with Medibank again and ask if they have a similar standard cover because the the lower level is usually half the price.

I don't think you need your cover before you get your visa, just at some time if they ask for proof of cover just get one of them with a start date in the future and provide the letter you receive from the Insurance company to Immi.

I can't answer about the need for both IELTS and English langugage qualifications, as I came from a country that always uses English for all teaching. Also when I applied they didn't require IELTS either (this was > 6 yrs ago).

Thanks for those clarifications
I have a clarification about the Health Insurance Requirements. I checked with Medibank and they gave me a quote for about 5000$ for a couple for 1 year (the initial duration of my Visa). I really don't want to spend that much before a Visa Application!!!
I hope there is some other way of getting this done!

Next Query: When I fill in the online application in the English Language Aection it asks for both the IELTS score and also to put in a copy of proof that Education was in English. Are both these necessary? I have an IELTS score of 8.5 and thought that would be sufficient.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I rechecked with Medibank and they said that they would give the appropriate letter even if we pay just a 1 month premium - so that sounds reasonable. And their basic cover for the Visa requirements is about half the price as you said!

Quick query about attaching documents to an e-application. Do these document scans need to be attested or will just a color scan of the documents (certificates and passports) be sufficient.
Basic Query, but these kind of queries keep popping up!!!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Benji:

Color copy is fine, no need for attested.

Thanks. I rechecked with Medibank and they said that they would give the appropriate letter even if we pay just a 1 month premium - so that sounds reasonable. And their basic cover for the Visa requirements is about half the price as you said!

Quick query about attaching documents to an e-application. Do these document scans need to be attested or will just a color scan of the documents (certificates and passports) be sufficient.
Basic Query, but these kind of queries keep popping up!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally lodged my application and paid for it.

as I was attaching documents it said I have reached my limit. I know my limit is 20 plus 20 documents - I had attached about 20 totally.

I emailed them and they replied that "you can reply to this email with your documents as attachments and I will attach them to your file"

I have paid for 1 months health insurance and Medibanks said they would adjust the start date depending on visa and actual journey.

Planning to go for an online health check.
It's supposed to be faster as all results are sent online by the clinic and lab.

Queries:
Do any of you know about form 1221. At the end of the application I got a link to download it for me. Not sure if there was a link for my wife also, but I can't find the link now.
Does this form need to be sent by postal mail or as a scanned attachment.

When will I be given a case officer?

How much faster is the e-health option than the regular option.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Updates:
Got my CO and she emailed me with a few documents needed. Form 1221 for both, Health requirements and a form of declaration.

Went for my Health Examination. I needed Xrays and blood tests.
Wife needed only Xrays. But as she was pregnant the doc said she would need a Hepatitis B and Urine test. So did it all for her. Elbit Diagnostics at Bangalore said they would send it online in a few days.

Queries:
What is this Form of Declaration for?
The form says "DECLARATION AND STATEMENT REGARDING INVOLVEMENT IN CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY"

The questions start off with
Where did you live before the armed conflict occurred in your country (please provide your region, city, village, street)?
Where did you live during the armed conflict in your country (please provide your region, city, village, street)?
please explain how you managed to avoid involvement in the armed conflict in your country (if you are able to, please attach any documents that support your claim).

etc, etc...

I am from India and have no idea which armed conflict they are talking about!
Any of you know anything about this form?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Updates:
Got my CO and she emailed me with a few documents needed. Form 1221 for both, Health requirements and a form of declaration.

Wife needed only Xrays. But as she was pregnant the doc said she would need a Hepatitis B and Urine test. So did it all for her. Elbit Diagnostics at Bangalore said they would send it online in a few days.

Queries:
The form says "DECLARATION AND STATEMENT REGARDING INVOLVEMENT IN CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY"

Where did you live before the armed conflict occurred in your country (please provide your region, city, village, street)?
Where did you live during the armed conflict in your country (please provide your region, city, village, street)?
please explain how you managed to avoid involvement in the armed conflict in your country (if you are able to, please attach any documents that support your claim).

etc, etc...

CO would have sent you a zip file. Take a printout fill it in blue ink. Scan it and upload it.

I am not sure about "Form of Declaration " CO didn't ask me that.

Reactions: benjiross

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Benji:

I think the Crimes Against Humanity is basically a declaration saying you weren't in any area where there was this type of conflict (warzones). I would think this affects places like parts of Africa, Tamil areas of Sri Lanka, Iraq, Afghanistan.

I think you could answer with, not living in any area where crimes or war is occurring. You can also check with your CO if you can leave those blank as they do not apply to you.

Updates:

Queries:

etc, etc...

·
Registered
27 Posts
health plan

We are here on a 457 and have health insurance through Australian Health Plans (aushealth.com) We pay under $5000 per year for a family of 5 for their most complete plan. Also, we applied online, picked our start date, and didn't pay anything until we arrived in AU.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just a note, we just got our visitor cover through Medibank. On the web site it says that there is a 2 month waiting period for all services, so I called. They are currently running a promotion and will waive the 2 month waiting period if you enroll over the phone with an agent vs. online.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your help.
I have taken a policy from Medibank for a couple. They have given me the required covering letter after paying a months premium.

i still haven't figured out what the DECLARATION AND STATEMENT REGARDING INVOLVEMENT IN CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY is and have sent emails to my CO - so far no reply.
I guess I'll just write N/A for everything and return it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
About the DECLARATION AND STATEMENT REGARDING INVOLVEMENT IN CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY
Got e reply from my CO saying
Fill out the questions that relate to you and then sent me the form back
So I've done that and hoping that it's approved without a problem.
I also noticed that all emails so far from my CO have been on tuesdays. Just curious as to whether they allot a particular day for each applicant.
Or maybe it's just coincidence!!
Part of my medicals seem to have been received.
My wifes test results do not seem to have reached - a little confused by the multiple messages on my status page!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My health requirements have been marked as finalised - does that mean that they have been approved and I will not need any further tests?

Even though I have sent in all the extra documents they requested, I have not received any acknowledgment either form my CO or in the status page.

i was specifically asked to send in the documents within 28 days of request and sent it all about 8 days ago as email attachments (as per their instructions). It is now 15 days since the original request they sent.

Should I email my CO again and ask her if the documents have reached. I have already done this last week, but did not receive any response.
Guess I'm just a little jittery!

·
Registered
323 Posts
My health requirements have been marked as finalised - does that mean that they have been approved and I will not need any further tests?

Even though I have sent in all the extra documents they requested, I have not received any acknowledgment either form my CO or in the status page.

i was specifically asked to send in the documents within 28 days of request and sent it all about 8 days ago as email attachments (as per their instructions). It is now 15 days since the original request they sent.

Should I email my CO again and ask her if the documents have reached. I have already done this last week, but did not receive any response.
Guess I'm just a little jittery!
I am also in the same boat, All the requested documents/medical have been uploaded 10 days back. There is no status change nor any response to my PLE. Just waiting for GRANT email from CO :)

Reactions: benjiross

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like my CO read this thread!
There is an update on my Status page:
18/03/2010 Information received

Nothing specific as to what all has been received and no info on whether they are enough or finalised.
So now it's back to wait.
Avinash - any updates for you?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Looks like my CO read this thread!
There is an update on my Status page:
18/03/2010 Information received

Nothing specific as to what all has been received and no info on whether they are enough or finalised.
So now it's back to wait.
Avinash - any updates for you?
Medical is shown referred on 18/03/2010.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got my Visa.
Timelines in my signature.
few more queries I have are in a separate thread.

·
Registered
91 Posts
HI Doc

Hi Doc,
Was searching google abt 457 e visa...and i thank my stars for having reached here.
Guys here are very helpful.I thank all u guys for your valuable suggestions.
Have followed your progressive posts and congratulate u on lodging your visa application.
I am a doctor as well and been sponsored by my employer in qld, Aus. Have sent him the acceptance signed.
Have applied for qld dental board license...meanwhile i am thinking to lodge my visa.
He got my nomination approved.
Here are my queries, can u or anyone ,please help me wid these.

1. Is it OK to lodge the e457 visa and later attach the dental license as it comes?
OR is it necessary to have license in hand before we apply?

2.Can u help me with the insurance company email.Even i need to take an insurance.
Pls suggest me the name of the insurance cover we need to take.

3. Should medicals be taken Only after lodging visa?
I have a few queries more but i will read the forum well and only trouble u guys if iam still confused.
Thankyou

1 - 20 of 26 Posts