Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am an australian Permanent Resident, living in melbourne. I recently got married and my partner lives in india as of now. We are applying for a 309 visa for her. I have a few questions before we apply and looking at the forum there are a lot of you who are willing to help and i really appreciate all your valuable inputs.

Thanks in advance

1) We are in an arranged marriage so apart from the photos, wedding invite, telephone records for a few months, a newly opened joint bank account we dont have a lot of history - is this a concern?

2) current processing time according to the high commission is 7 months, i would like for her to move to melbourne earlier than that, has anyone applied recently and got it sooner? is the tourist visa option suggested?

3) We dont seem to find much info on the medicals?

4) I have read that most people were requested for addittional documents by the CO, what are they? if i can get a list we can submit it with the inital application?

Please do help me with what you can, we intend to apply in the next few days

Thanks again

G

·
Hi All,

I am an australian Permanent Resident, living in melbourne. I recently got married and my partner lives in india as of now. We are applying for a 309 visa for her. I have a few questions before we apply and looking at the forum there are a lot of you who are willing to help and i really appreciate all your valuable inputs.

Thanks in advance

1) We are in an arranged marriage so apart from the photos, wedding invite, telephone records for a few months, a newly opened joint bank account we dont have a lot of history - is this a concern?

No, DIAC are aware of cultural differences and what type of evidence to expect. So long as you can evidence the wedding, family meet ups before the wedding, photos etc you should be OK.

2) current processing time according to the high commission is 7 months, i would like for her to move to melbourne earlier than that, has anyone applied recently and got it sooner? is the tourist visa option suggested?

She can apply for a tourist visa but there is no saying she will be granted one. They could say no as they do not believe she will leave when it expires because they can not assume she will be granted the spouse visa until it is granted.
It is worth trying though. You will need to inform DIAC of you plans so the spouse visa is not granted whilst she is onshore. That is unless you decide to try and go for the onshore option.

3) We dont seem to find much info on the medicals?

The Health Requirement

Contact Us

She will need a medical and xray.

4) I have read that most people were requested for addittional documents by the CO, what are they? if i can get a list we can submit it with the inital application?

Please do help me with what you can, we intend to apply in the next few days

Thanks again
Not everyone is asked for more documents. It would usually be more proof of living together or proof of financial attachment, more proof of the legitimacy of the wedding etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi shel, thanks a ton for your timely reply.

We are worried about the tourist visa thing :( not sure what to do but would really want her to come with me in November.

Is there anything we can do to speed up processing of the 309?

I'm providing maximum documents that we can.

Also, what would I provide to evidence our family meet ups?

G

·
You can not speed it up I'm afraid, it will take between 7 & 12 months according to the DIAC service standards.
You can provide satutory declarations from anyone who knows you both and that you are married and how the marriage came about. They ask for 2 but you can send more, I sent about 5. Relatives from either family, an employer, family friends, a family religous minister or doctor, your employer. They all should have known you before you wed, during the process and after and some may have even been part of the process so good third party evidence.

You can only try with the tourist visa. Many people do it that way. I would apply for them both together or the tourist visa first because that is granted faster than the 309 but you want to give yourself enough time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a heap shel. Will certainly take that on board.

We intend to apply for 309 soon and wait for a few months before we apply for the tourist visa? Is that a risk?

If we apply for tourist and 309 together do we mention that in the letter to the Diac?

Thanks heaps

G

·
I'm not sure how long a tourist visa would take to be granted from India? In the UK it would only be a few weeks but maybe longer there and if it is a long time you could be almost near to getting the 309 when you get the tourist visa! When you apply I would be totally honest in the application and say you are using it to enable your partner to move with you and not break up the family. But that you are aware they will have to go offshore to be granted and that you have the money to do so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that makes sense! Thanks

My parents visited me a couple of times and each time their visa only took about 15 days! So must be about the same :)

But I think it's better to mention it clearly in the letter and apply for both together :)

Any other tips you suggest us?

We also have another dilemma, we intend to go to a honeymoon just before i go back to work Melbourne but if her tourist visa is a single entry we will have to forego that wouldn't we?

G

·
She can stay in Australia until the visa expires she just can't leave and come back on it. Again be clear in your application the length of time you require. She could get long stay, up to a year without leaving. Or multiple entry up to a year but each stay for 3 months.
If you say you would like 6 or 12 monthsd they will asses that. I would include financial evidence that you have the funds to provide for her while there and available funds to buy a ticket to leave if need be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't aware we can ask for a period for the tourist visa.

So my best option would be to ask for a 3-6 month tourist visa, go for the honeymoon from India, return to India and then fly to aus, stay for 3 months and when 309 is ready to be granted/3 months expires which ever comes first she flies overseas gets the grant n comes back in? Isn't it?

Can I put the same intention on the letter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, with the letter, it just has to be typed out n signed and dated by me isn't it? No certification or attesting etc?

G

·
Yes, its not like the spouse application where everything needs to be certified. It is simply a signed letter with your request and outlining your plans.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about the police clearence certificate? Do you know if she needs that before applying or she can submit it later?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.