Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m a long time lurker however this is my first post, some advice would be greatly appreciated, I apologise for such a long post in advance.

Basically I’m looking to apply for WA state sponsorship (subclass 190), Once I turn 25 in June I will have the necessary points to apply, 30 from my age, 20 from IELTS and 15 from my UK bachelors degree (1st class Marketing with honours), so 65 in total. However, this is where it gets complicated; I don’t have an occupation on the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list 2012 - 2013.

For the past year or so I have been working in mainly administration roles, Marketing Administrator for 3 months in the UK, Administration Assistant 2 months in WA, and now for the past month I have been working as an Administration Assistant again, this will likely continue for another 2 months. With this in mind looking at the WASMOL I think the best occupation to nominate would be ‘511112 Project Administrator’ as it’s vaguely related, now I appreciate this is only vaguely related so I am looking to do a Cert IV in project management as I think I read somewhere on the VETASSES site that qualifications can help in lieu of experience.

So my question is this... If I had a cert IV in project management would I likely receive a positive skills assessment for the nominated occupation of ‘Project Administrator’? Although my experience is limited, I have a good degree and some related experience, I’m just wondering if it’s worth doing this course as it’s quite expensive, looking at $2000 at the moment plus time missed off work so even more $. I don’t want to do it and then find it actually doesn’t help at all as the whole process of applying for any kind of visa is very expensive any way, this would just add to the cost and could possibly be a waste of money.

I already tried Skilled migration WA for some advice, and they said “You need to contact your skills assessing authority directly” so with project administration in mind this is VETASSES. So I contact VETASSES and they won’t provide any advice as to whether or not doing this qualification will help with my skills assessment, they simply send me a link to their advisory service which doesn’t offer this sort of advice anyway. So I thought I’d try you guys. Should I go for it or cut my losses? I’m also very aware that the WAMOL may change soon, usually the SOL changes in a new financial year so 1st July.

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice.

Callum

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Callum,

Not sure if you have found the answer to this but I thought I'd let you know our story as a precaution.
We were advised to go and get an AQF3 for my husband as a floor finisher and it cost us approx £3000 to do this. Unfortunately the assessing board can't accept any quals post experience. My husband has 28 years experience and they still wouldn't accept that he knew what he was doing even after sailing through his AQF!
We began the process again and had the wrong job then for me, like you, my job doesn't quite fit any particular title. I think we have found every conceivable problem you could find with this process but hopefully 2.5 years after starting the process, we are nearly there!

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts