Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My partner are planning to move to Sydney asap (on 457 visa which will be lodged this week). We are now looking at our PR options as we are in it for the long run. Looking at the immigration website, we reckon that a 175 visa would be a good option for us. According to the points system, we should be able to get 125 points IF I score a 7 on all 4 IELTS areas.

Our questions:
- can anyone give us an indication of the level of English that we need to master to obtain a 7 score on all 4 areas?
- does 125 points mean a garanteed PR?
- we could also wait 1 year and gain 10 more points on working experience and go for a score of 6 with IELTS; what would you recommend?

Look forward to hearing your opinions, thanks!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Our questions:
- can anyone give us an indication of the level of English that we need to master to obtain a 7 score on all 4 areas?
I didn't have to take it but if you search through the forums you may find your answer.
- does 125 points mean a garanteed PR?
There are no guarantees especially at the moment with more changes due in the next few months.
- we could also wait 1 year and gain 10 more points on working experience and go for a score of 6 with IELTS; what would you recommend?
The issue with waiting for a year is that nobody knows what the rules will be like then....

Sorry I don't mean to sound down but if you think you can get in now I would apply now.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I don't mean to sound down but if you think you can get in now I would apply now.

Regards,
Karen
Fair enough, thanks for the input!

Does anyone have any useful experience with IELTS and the level that I need to score?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi

From what I read, your English is good enough to scaore 8-9 in each module. Search the forum for Ielts, a lot has been discussed about it int eh past. I took it a year and half back and i managed 8 overall and my OH managed 8.5 overall. It is nto difficult, its like english test in school where they expect you to read from given paragraph and answer, listen to audio and answer, so on and frth. google ielts sample test and u will get few sites with sample tests. it isnt difficult to crack if you are fluent and have been speaking the language since childhood

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took it about a year back and got an overall of 8 with minimum score of 7 is submodule. It is not that difficult if you are a fluent speaker, have decent basic grammar and one who has no problems comprehending native English speakers.

But my suggestion is go for quick 2-week prep, which is more than sufficient to get you accustomed to th model of questions in reading, writing sections. For speaking, visit you tube to see some useful videos to give you an idea about that section.

After you do this, take the test and if you get more than what is required, proceed to apply for PR with all the necessary documents.

DONT SPEND TOO MUCH TIME DECIDING ON WHAT TO DO.

BEST OF LUCK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts