Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone

first of all, thank you for the information you all provide here. it is extremely helpful and i really appreciate your advise.

i also had a query.. i was reading this forum and came to a halt in preparing for my visa for subclass 175. i came across an ACS assessment.. not sure if that would apply to me?

below is my background:

Eduucation
Bachelors Electrical Engineering, MBA

Job
4 years 6 months experience in Software Quality Assurance
Several certifications
Author of a book
Technical editor of a book

do i stand any chances of getting the subclass 175 visa? do i need to be ACS accessed? what are my chances? i have been reading a lot about ACS but not sure if i should submit an application to them mainly because i am not able to determine if i am eligible.

Please advise. sorry for the long post.

thanks!

k

·
Registered
12 Posts
As per my understanding, You are eligible for the below Code.
261314 Software Tester

Refer to the link acs.org.au/public/ska/docs/ACSSkillsAssessmentOccupationCodes_2011V4_tasksGSM_RGJuly2011.pdf

Yes you need to get the assesment from ACS(Australian Computer Society).

Feel free to ask me any more questions.
Also if you feel that you are eligible for 175 Visa, you are obviously eligible for ACS.
Refer to the section acs.org.au/public/ska/docs/Skills Assessment Guidelines for Applicants - V14.pdf for preparing u r application and it would cost $400 AUD.
Also do it by yourself if you have some time as this forum is really enough to get enough guidance. I did it myself and got the approval in 19 working days.

Reactions: kbhatnagar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks gotmyacs and i really like your nick :) still had one question and hoping you can provide your expert advise.

i was checking the following linky: ACS website Online Apply section and learned that i need to provide "6. Certified copies of Detailed Employment References". i am not sure how to get this or what it is.

i also changed employment about 1 year ago and not sure how i will be able to get that document for my previous employment.

please advise. thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just call your previous manager or the HR department. Ask them to provide a letter with Your Name, Your designation, Date of Joining, Date of leaving and detailed job description if possible on a letter head. Tell me the size of your organization. This is possible with any company. You have the right to get reference letter and just try.

If you are not in good relation with your ex-manager or management, leave it and provide a manager reference letter with whom you are comfortable along with his contact number and the letter should have all the above said information along with entire job description, No of projects handled, Team size etc etc..

With this you can attach a statutory declaration. Let me know if you can get reference letter on Company letter head.

Initially i was reluctant to approach my previuos managers for the same but when asked, they said that they already have a template and gave such letters previously to employees like me.. For us its only One Company and for our company we are just one of those associates..Good Logic right........ :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again for your reply :)

last question (really) :) :: i think i will be able to complete the ACS online application by tonight and get all documents notarized to be submitted - will try to mail as early as tomorrow.

my question was, i saw that the occupations list is going to be revised starting the 1st of July. this may cause my occupation to be removed from the list by the time i may hear from the ACS team. what should i do? should i go ahead and apply for the visa anyways, even if i haven't heard back from ACS?

what is the correct process to manage both visa and ACS assessment simultaneously?

please advise.

many thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you have read the changes that are happening in the migration process from 1st July 2012.

I believe it is a bit late for you to plan for a 175 visa. ACS normally takes about 8 weeks to respond and its already May. So you should probably plan to apply for a visa in SkillSelect process.

You will need skills assessment in any case though.

Make sure you read everything about SkillSelect before proceeding.

All d best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your response :)

after reading your reply, i checked the SkillSelect website and as it turns out, i won't be able to make it after the 1st of July since the number of points i could gather is 50:

30 = Age
20 = English
5 = Experience

as it turns out, my bachelors or masters won't be counted in the overall computation as it is from US, not Aus.

well, it was fun while it lasted :)

cheers everyone and thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
556 Posts
hello everyone

first of all, thank you for the information you all provide here. it is extremely helpful and i really appreciate your advise.

i also had a query.. i was reading this forum and came to a halt in preparing for my visa for subclass 175. i came across an ACS assessment.. not sure if that would apply to me?

below is my background:

Eduucation
Bachelors Electrical Engineering, MBA

Job
4 years 6 months experience in Software Quality Assurance
Several certifications
Author of a book
Technical editor of a book

do i stand any chances of getting the subclass 175 visa? do i need to be ACS accessed? what are my chances? i have been reading a lot about ACS but not sure if i should submit an application to them mainly because i am not able to determine if i am eligible.

Please advise. sorry for the long post.

thanks!

k
Hello,
If you working as a software tester then you skill code (261314) will fall under SOL2 for which you cannot apply for 175. Your only option is to apply for a State Sponsorship and then apply for a 176 visa.

Or if you have worked on automation & scripting then people on this forum have applied for the skill code 261313 which is Software Engineer & it falls under SOL1. This skill code gives you the luxury to apply for 175 without any State Sponsorship.

Let us know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you coolsnake

the only thing is, its already may and even if i file for ACS i am not sure if i will get the reply back on time. i know i can still go ahead and apply - it shouldn't hurt and i may be lucky and receive a reply before july 1st.

just not enough time. i came too late :)

as i mentioned in my previous post i will only have 55 points under the new system for SkillSelect which is not sufficient i'm afraid :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
thank you coolsnake

the only thing is, its already may and even if i file for ACS i am not sure if i will get the reply back on time. i know i can still go ahead and apply - it shouldn't hurt and i may be lucky and receive a reply before july 1st.

as i mentioned in my previous post i will only have 55 points under the new system for SkillSelect which is not sufficient i'm afraid :(

I requested assessment earlier this year and got my assessment in less than a month. ACS responds fast when all requested documents are submitted at the time of application. Requesting employment references from HR was a nightmare for me as I worked for 5 different employers in past. These letters are key and must include all relevant job duties you performed while employed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks for your response :)

after reading your reply, i checked the SkillSelect website and as it turns out, i won't be able to make it after the 1st of July since the number of points i could gather is 50:

30 = Age
20 = English
5 = Experience

as it turns out, my bachelors or masters won't be counted in the overall computation as it is from US, not Aus.

well, it was fun while it lasted :)

cheers everyone and thanks for all your help.
Experts, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he entitled to another 15 points for his qualifications? It should be awarded as long as it satisfies this:

"To claim points for a qualification obtained overseas, it will need to be recognised as being of a standard comparable to the relevant Australian level qualification. Generally, you will be able to request an opinion on your qualification claims from the relevant assessing authority when you seek your skills assessment."

·
Registered
556 Posts
thank you coolsnake

You never know. You might be lucky if as mentioned earlier you have provided all the required docs and ACS is happy to assess your skill code in a short time span. Give it a shot & see if it works for you.

If you can get yourself a state sponsorship then you have high chances of not being affected by the new changes in the visa processing & you will get an invitation to apply if you submit an EOI.

And lastly, not sure how you came up with 55 points as overseas qualification gives you points. Also, State Sponsorship fetches you 5 points.

Give it a thought if you are serious about your migration plans. Good Luck!! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for your support everyone :)

after reading your replies, i have decided to take my chances and go ahead with it.

just a little confused with the certification process. the notary has certified all my education certificates but are not certifying my work/experience documents. they told me that only originals can be certified, not print out from web which is what i have access to pertaining to my employers.

what can be done? should i just attach everything as-is and mail?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello,
If you working as a software tester then you skill code (261314) will fall under SOL2 for which you cannot apply for 175. Your only option is to apply for a State Sponsorship and then apply for a 176 visa.

Or if you have worked on automation & scripting then people on this forum have applied for the skill code 261313 which is Software Engineer & it falls under SOL1. This skill code gives you the luxury to apply for 175 without any State Sponsorship.

Let us know if you have any questions.
hi coolsnake,
as i see u mentioned that skill code (261314) fall under SOL2 and can be applied for 176 after SS, i have applied for 263213 (ICT Systems Test Engineer) and waiting for a positive assessment. Can i apply for 176 if i get +ve assessment and SS from SA? please suggest...

·
Registered
556 Posts
thanks for your support everyone :)

after reading your replies, i have decided to take my chances and go ahead with it.

just a little confused with the certification process. the notary has certified all my education certificates but are not certifying my work/experience documents. they told me that only originals can be certified, not print out from web which is what i have access to pertaining to my employers.

what can be done? should i just attach everything as-is and mail?
Good to hear that. :)

Yupe, you should be fine in mailing the colour print outs of those docs (if they are on the company letter head) to ACS. That shouldn't be a problem.

All the best!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
hi coolsnake,
as i see u mentioned that skill code (261314) fall under SOL2 and can be applied for 176 after SS, i have applied for 263213 (ICT Systems Test Engineer) and waiting for a positive assessment. Can i apply for 176 if i get +ve assessment and SS from SA? please suggest...
Hello,
Yes, 263213 also falls under SOL2. So if you are being state sponsored, you can very well go ahead and apply for 176. Just make sure that your skill code is still being sponsored by SA.

Good luck with your assessment & SS application. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
coolsnake, oghope

that is very helpful information.

i am in QA Test Automation. Can I apply for ICT Systems Test Engineer (263213), Software Engineer (261313) or Analyst Programmer (261311)

i work with C#, Selenium (all branches), QTP, LR, TestComplete, C/C++ but primary job category is QA.

please advise :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
coolsnake, oghope

that is very helpful information.

i am in QA Test Automation. Can I apply for ICT Systems Test Engineer (263213), Software Engineer (261313) or Analyst Programmer (261311)

i work with C#, Selenium (all branches), QTP, LR, TestComplete, C/C++ but primary job category is QA.

please advise :)
Software Tester & ICT Systems Test Engineer are two occupation codes with same job profile. So it doesn't matter which one you get yourself assessed with. However be careful with the code you select as not all the states are sponsoring the above skill codes currently. S/W Tester is currently only available with Vic while ICT Systems Test Engineer was only available with SA and ACT when I last checked few weeks back. You can check their site for the current status.

About selecting the Skill code as S/W Engineer, you can search this forum for more information. I am sure I have read here that atleast a couple of people have applied for this skill code & got assessed successfully based on their automation experience.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks again for your feedback coolsnake. hopefully my last question. please guide me :)

i tried to find the information regarding the area-employment_code as you mentioned but unable to find the resource.

S/W Tester is currently only available with Vic while ICT Systems Test Engineer was only available with SA and ACT when I last checked few weeks back

·
Registered
556 Posts
thanks again for your feedback coolsnake. hopefully my last question. please guide me :)

i tried to find the information regarding the area-employment_code as you mentioned but unable to find the resource.
No worries, everyone goes through this stage where we have loads of questions. So don't worry. Keep your questions coming. :)

Below is the link to a post which should help you in checking the occupation lists of different states.

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/australia-expat-forum-expats-living-australia/110461-oracle-dba-acs-assessment-queries.html#post773665

Let me know if you have further queries. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts