Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Expat Experts,

I am in a situation where myself and my spouse has been granted with 189 Subclass permanent resident visa and the expiry date is going to be June 2018.

I was able to make a first entry in Nov 2014 after that I was not able to make an entry to Australia because of personal reasons, where my Dad and Mom both are not keeping well and I needed support them. It is unfortunate that I applied the visa with full confidence of travelling to Australia and then all these happened.

Could the experts advise whether it is worth in applying for an extension and whether there is a likely chance of getting the visa extended. Please advise me the process and how to take it forward.

Thanks for your help and waiting for your advise.

Cheers
Hari

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Expat Experts,

I am in a situation where myself and my spouse has been granted with 189 Subclass permanent resident visa and the expiry date is going to be June 2018.

I was able to make a first entry in Nov 2014 after that I was not able to make an entry to Australia because of personal reasons, where my Dad and Mom both are not keeping well and I needed support them. It is unfortunate that I applied the visa with full confidence of travelling to Australia and then all these happened.

Could the experts advise whether it is worth in applying for an extension and whether there is a likely chance of getting the visa extended. Please advise me the process and how to take it forward.

Thanks for your help and waiting for your advise.

Cheers
Hari
Dear experts,

Could you assist me here to proceed

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dear experts,

Could you assist me here to proceed
IMO, the PR is granted for a lifetime. That said, this VISA has multiple entry-exit privilege only for the first 5 years. So you still have right to enter and exit AUS until June 2018. After June 2018:

a) if you are already in AUS, you may continue to live there for as long as you wish but if you choose to exit for any reason and for any length of time, you would require a Resident Return Visa (RRV) to enter again. Assuming you meet the criteria for that visa, you will be allowed to enter AUS. Once you are permitted back, you can continue to be legal resident of AUS.

b) if you are not in AUS, you would need to apply for RRV. If you fail to meet the criteria, you would need to file a fresh application.

Reactions: vattekhn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO, the PR is granted for a lifetime. That said, this VISA has multiple entry-exit privilege only for the first 5 years. So you still have right to enter and exit AUS until June 2018. After June 2018:

a) if you are already in AUS, you may continue to live there for as long as you wish but if you choose to exit for any reason and for any length of time, you would require a Resident Return Visa (RRV) to enter again. Assuming you meet the criteria for that visa, you will be allowed to enter AUS. Once you are permitted back, you can continue to be legal resident of AUS.

b) if you are not in AUS, you would need to apply for RRV. If you fail to meet the criteria, you would need to file a fresh application.
Thanks a lot for your reply here. Currently I am in India right now, so If I need to apply for a RRV then do I need to apply well ahead of the Visa getting expired or after the Visa getting expired.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts