Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just curious...is there anything from "back home" that you miss, and can't get in AD?

Like, favorite shoes, personal hygeine items, clothing items, a particular brand of something, etc?

Is there anything you wish you stocked up on and brought with you to AD so it would last until your next trip back home?

Thanks!

Michael

·
Registered
364 Posts
This might be fairly esoteric, but if you are a guitarist, the bulk of the stuff over here is aimed primarily at heavy metal, particuarly the amps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OXO. It is a spread similar to Marmite but is not as salty. And lets not forget Crosse & Blackwell mayonaise! And maize porridge of course. Yes, I'm a South African and I love food.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OXO. It is a spread similar to Marmite but is not as salty. And lets not forget Crosse & Blackwell mayonaise! And maize porridge of course. Yes, I'm a South African and I love food.
mmm... just had some C&B with my egg mayo this morning... I am going to miss that stuff!

·
Banned
598 Posts
I miss taco cabana, Ihop for late night drunken feasts and umm oh wait you said stuff... well I'd still like to go for a nice cabana bowl mmMMm
taco cabana breakfast - eggs mexicana... i missss that
james coney island chilli dogs with extra onion

·
Registered
51 Posts
mexican food, in general

another thing that i find extremely annoying, especially in a country this hot, is a lack of decent antiperspirants/deodorants. That roll-on **** is crap.

hmm...what else...fast internet, that i dont have to pay a bajillion dollars for

·
Registered
264 Posts
Aberdeen Butteries
Traditional Aberdeen butter yeast rolls.
450g (1lb) Plain Flour
350ml (12floz) Water, tepid
225g (8oz) Butter
110g (4oz) Lard
25g (1oz) Yeast or ½ tbsp Dried Yeast
1 tbsp Sugar
Pinch Salt

Pre-heat oven to 190°C: 375°F: Gas 5.
Sift flour and salt together.
Cream yeast with sugar, when it bubbles, add to flour with water.
Mix well, cover, allow to stand in a warm place until doubled in volume.
Cream butter and lard together, divide into three parts.
Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, roll out into long strip.
Place a third of butter and lard mixture into the centre of the pastry strip.
Fold over from each end like an envelope.
Roll the dough, repeat the above technique until all butter and lard mixture is used up.
Cut in rounds place on floured baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between each to allow for expansion.
Cover and allow to stand in a warm place until doubled in volume for around 45 minutes.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Makes about 15 rolls.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Aberdeen Butteries
Traditional Aberdeen butter yeast rolls.
450g (1lb) Plain Flour
350ml (12floz) Water, tepid
225g (8oz) Butter
110g (4oz) Lard
25g (1oz) Yeast or ½ tbsp Dried Yeast
1 tbsp Sugar
Pinch Salt

Pre-heat oven to 190°C: 375°F: Gas 5.
Sift flour and salt together.
Cream yeast with sugar, when it bubbles, add to flour with water.
Mix well, cover, allow to stand in a warm place until doubled in volume.
Cream butter and lard together, divide into three parts.
Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, roll out into long strip.
Place a third of butter and lard mixture into the centre of the pastry strip.
Fold over from each end like an envelope.
Roll the dough, repeat the above technique until all butter and lard mixture is used up.
Cut in rounds place on floured baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between each to allow for expansion.
Cover and allow to stand in a warm place until doubled in volume for around 45 minutes.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Makes about 15 rolls.
I know what I'm doing tomorrow :D

Rowies :clap2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
what i miss

Hi, just curious...is there anything from "back home" that you miss, and can't get in AD?

Like, favorite shoes, personal hygeine items, clothing items, a particular brand of something, etc?

Is there anything you wish you stocked up on and brought with you to AD so it would last until your next trip back home?

Thanks!

Michael
CROSS & BLACKWELL MAYO!! and you cannot get it anywhere-peops in the know are disadvantaged!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bringing stuff from America

We are moving to Dubai soon, so what things would you advice to stock of from US before coming?
You can pretty much get what you need but as this post suggests, it's a matter of getting the brands you want. For instance, I use Crest Spinbrush toothbrushes, which you can't find out here.

We stayed in a hotel initially and had to bring some power transformers with adjustable wattage for small electricals. They have those here but when you first arrive, you might not know where to get them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.