Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of applying for 189 (currently in cdr assessment stage). I have also applied a PhD position in Australia next year and hopefully will be able to convert it. Is it OK to study with 189 visa or 189 can be used only for employment?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm in the process of applying for 189 (currently in cdr assessment stage). I have also applied a PhD position in Australia next year and hopefully will be able to convert it. Is it OK to study with 189 visa or 189 can be used only for employment?

You can do whatever you want with 189, it is a permanent residency visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can study on 189. Also, 189 is a PR so you'll be charged local student fees instead of the hefty international student fees.

Reactions: kiasuvivek

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts

For doing PhD tuition fee is waived off for PRs ..Enjoy :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
You can study on 189. Also, 189 is a PR so you'll be charged local student fees instead of the hefty international student fees.
Not if you get your enrollment letter as an international student.

Do not make the mistake of getting a grant while you are waiting to initiate your Ph.D. and is holding an enrollment letter. Most universities would cancel the enrollment. But getting a 'grant' once you have started the research is fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not if you get your enrollment letter as an international student.

Do not make the mistake of getting a grant while you are waiting to initiate your Ph.D. and is holding an enrollment letter. Most universities would cancel the enrollment. But getting a 'grant' once you have started the research is fine.
Thanks for your reply. So you are suggesting if I get admission as international student while my eoi is in process, it wouldn't be a problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts