Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on obtaining a one year student visa and living in Toulouse beginning in August. Wondering about the visa for my wife. Can she get a visa that would allow her to work part-time also as the wife of someone with a student visa? Or does she need to enroll in a class as well and apply for the student visa in order to be able to work part-time? Thanks!
Scott

·
Administrator
50,027 Posts
You should apply for a dependent visa for her when you go for your student visa. The only catch is that she won't be able to work on a dependent visa. (She'll officially be a "trailing spouse.")

If she wants to go on a student visa, she'll need to get her own student visa - which means she needs to be accepted into a suitable program. If you're planning on moving over in August, she'd best get going on finding a program to apply to.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should apply for a dependent visa for her when you go for your student visa. The only catch is that she won't be able to work on a dependent visa. (She'll officially be a "trailing spouse.")

If she wants to go on a student visa, she'll need to get her own student visa - which means she needs to be accepted into a suitable program. If you're planning on moving over in August, she'd best get going on finding a program to apply to.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks, as always, Bev, for the information. So we want my wife to be able to work so we're going to go for the student visa. Here's my plan: I will be taking a TEFL course in Toulouse beginning August 13th that runs for 4 weeks. My wife and I will be signed up for 9 months of evening classes at the Alliance Francaise for their evening sessions beginning October 2. The Alliance has told us that the class schedule that we'll be signing up for will qualify us for a one year student visa. My plan is that we'll fly out about a week before the TEFL class starts, so we should arrive in Toulouse approx August 6th. I'm figuring that I won't have a problem with my student visa allowing me to arrive on August 6th because the TEFL class will be starting in a week. But I'm wondering if they will have a problem granting my wife permission to fly with me on the August 6th with her student visa if her class doesn't start until October 2. Or will they be ok with that because she's my wife and I'll be starting classes August 13th. Do you have any insight into that, or do you see any other flaws in my plan? Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem to arrive before the course starts. Will the Alliance Francaise be sending you paperwork for the visa? If you fly into Toulouse via a European country you might realize afterwards that you entered the country without anyone even looking at your passport. When I needed a stamp as a proof of date of entry I had to ask for one specifically. Otherwise I usually just get waved through.

·
Administrator
50,027 Posts
If your wife is on a separate student visa, your status makes no difference to her. She can only get her visa stamped on entry shortly before her student program starts.

I would ask at the consulate when you apply for your visas.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.