Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I'm a radiographer currently living and working in the UK. My fiancé and I are considering emigrating to Dubai. I'd like to continue my professional studies and train as a sonographer.
Do you know whether we need to be a citizen or resident to seek a trainee position in Dubai? Is it possible to train alongside working the same way it is in the UK?
If anyone has any information around this subject it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Beth :)

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi there!

I'm a radiographer currently living and working in the UK. My fiancé and I are considering emigrating to Dubai. I'd like to continue my professional studies and train as a sonographer.
Do you know whether we need to be a citizen or resident to seek a trainee position in Dubai? Is it possible to train alongside working the same way it is in the UK?
If anyone has any information around this subject it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Beth :)
Hi Beth,
Welcome to the forum.
I really doubt that you would be able to find a training position in Dubai - in the way that you described.
Most hospitals - both government and private are looking for fully trained staff - and they have the pick of well qualified people from around the world - who are keen to move here.
Also - don't forget, that it is illegal to co-habit as a couple - unless you are married to each other.
Here is a recent article that explains some of the local laws - that illustrates the difference between the UAE and European countries:-
Illicit sex and other don'ts in the UAE | GulfNews.com
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help!
We are due to marry next summer and I wouldn't be moving out to join him until then, I just wanted to see what my options were.

Thanks again :)

Beth

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
You cannot become a citizen in UAE (very rare exceptions). All are expats.

You can only become a resident if someone sponsors you: e.g. you get a job (so the company sponsors you), you open a company (and this company sponsors you), you are a student (and the teaching institution sponsors you), if you are married then an employed spouse can sponsor you, if you are an unmarried female and if your parents are residents then they can sponsor you etc etc.

So most people are here with their jobs. No concept of just moving and then figuring out later what is to be done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts