Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I'm looking forward to study in NZ. And I want to follow a Information Technology level 7 course which will be a "Graduate Diploma". I'm married and I want to bring my wife with me.

I heard that spouse can only work when the student studies a Level 8 course or Level 7 towards a Long Term Skill Shortage list. My course's possible career opportunities are "Software Tester", "Database Administrator". (Those are included in NZ long term skill shortage list under IT)

So my question is will my wife be able to work while I'm studying? It seems difficult to find the answer. If you guys can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Dear all,

I'm looking forward to study in NZ. And I want to follow a Information Technology level 7 course which will be a "Graduate Diploma". I'm married and I want to bring my wife with me.

I heard that spouse can only work when the student studies a Level 8 course or Level 7 towards a Long Term Skill Shortage list. My course's possible career opportunities are "Software Tester", "Database Administrator". (Those are included in NZ long term skill shortage list under IT)

So my question is will my wife be able to work while I'm studying? It seems difficult to find the answer. If you guys can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
So long as you have a valid Student visa and studying towards either:
a level 7 or higher qualification on INZ's Long Term Skill Shortage List or a postgraduate qualification then your Mrs should be able to apply for a partnership based work visa.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The student used to have the capacity to work up to 20 hours a week, but that might have changed in the last law change or is proposed for the next one, I’m not sure where it stands as of today. My wife is about 1/2 way through her level 8 coursework but I don’t want her to work the coursework is difficult stuff that deserves her full attention to get the best grades.

The partner can get a full work visa.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The student used to have the capacity to work up to 20 hours a week, but that might have changed in the last law change or is proposed for the next one, I’m not sure where it stands as of today. My wife is about 1/2 way through her level 8 coursework but I don’t want her to work the coursework is difficult stuff that deserves her full attention to get the best grades.

The partner can get a full work visa.
But for Level 7 courses?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts