Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I currently live in Sydney and will start university very soon.
Last year I left high school in my county and went here to study university foundation. Having lived here quite a while, I'd like to stay here after finishing my studies.

Could you give me some advice on how to gain PR from a student visa after graduation? Any similar experiences are welcomed

About myself:
IELTS : 8.5( above 8 in each selection, done last year)

I am going to take bachelor of commerce(major in Finance and Accounting) at usyd for

Here's some other questions:
i. I know there is the 189 visa (general skilled migration). But it seems that it requires relevant working experiences either in your home country or here (aus), and apparently I do not have them. Can I still apply it without any working exps? And what is the chance of success?

ii. Then there is the SOL . I actually didn't know that accountant is on that list until I did some research on the 189 visa. This may help me gain PR in the future but I don't know whether it will be still on the list 3 year later. What do you think?'

iii. How about work visa(457, sponsored by employers)? I always thought it's the way it works to gain PR and it is much faster( and more difficult I suppose).

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
In general, there are very few options to move from a student visa to a PR visa, because either occupations require some working experience to obtain a positive skills assessment, or you need work experience to get enough points for eligibility for a visa. Also keep in mind that visa rules change periodically so what's possible today may not be possible by the time you graduate.

A 457 visa is a temporary visa. If you're able to find an employer who is able and willing to sponsor someone fresh out of school, you still may not meet the qualifications for the occupation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts