Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I m starting this thread to take advise and suggestions from senior expats.

I have applied for my 190 VISA along with my family on 2nd Dec 2014 and am still awaiting for my golden letter. I got my Victoria SS invitation on 14th November 2014 and thereafter i lodged VISA.

I am into IT, working as an IT Manager with a MNC in Gurgaon and have 2 sons (18 yrs and 13 yrs). My elder son is currently on Student VISA and is going through 3 yrs undergraduate program (Bachelor of Business and Commerce) in Sydney since July 2014.

Now the question is since we will get the PR, so will he have to migrate him to some other university in Melbourne because of the 2 yrs commitment. He is currently in India for summer vacations and his second semester starts in Feb 2015.

Since we are still waiting for the VISA letters so i have not yet resigned from my company. So question is that where should my son go first - Sydney or Melbourne and get himself registered as a domestic student with Uni and get the waiver on his international fees (moreover he is not the primary applicant ). I am OK for him to go to Melbourne in Feb and look for University for his admission but the time is catching up. Please advise!

Will his first semester academic period/results be counted so that he gets admission in any of Mel Uni and starts from second semester?

What are the good Uni's in Melbourne and do they also accepts PR students for admissions as they do in Schools or they have some specific eligibility criteria?

Any advise from experts/seniors will be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
The declaration you sign with the Victorian government states "If this application is granted, my dependents and I intend to live in Victoria for at least two years." So I would say that the son would most definitely need to live in Victoria. However, the agreement is a "moral" obligation and not a legal one and as a PR, he can by definition live anywhere in Australia.

He would not be able to enrol as a domestic student until the 190 visa is granted. As a domestic student, he is eligible for reduced fees. There are a number of universities in Melbourne although the more notable ones are Melbourne Uni and Monash. Ultimately the uni he chooses should be dependent on the course he is interested in (for example, RMIT is known locally for its technology and design courses).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He doesnt need to move to Melbourne. You sign an agreement with state not him.
Thanks!
Did not quite got you clearly. Please elaborate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The declaration you sign with the Victorian government states "If this application is granted, my dependents and I intend to live in Victoria for at least two years." So I would say that the son would most definitely need to live in Victoria. However, the agreement is a "moral" obligation and not a legal one and as a PR, he can by definition live anywhere in Australia.

He would not be able to enrol as a domestic student until the 190 visa is granted. As a domestic student, he is eligible for reduced fees. There are a number of universities in Melbourne although the more notable ones are Melbourne Uni and Monash. Ultimately the uni he chooses should be dependent on the course he is interested in (for example, RMIT is known locally for its technology and design courses).
Thanks Ozbound for your comments!
Our VISA should be round the corner as per the going trend, may be after that we can plan it accordingly. Though since i have a commitment to live with Victoria, so would want to comply with that. So my family will live with me and for sure i would want my son to go in some Melbourne Uni. Lets see how it turns out to be because his next semester starts soon in Feb and lot needs to be done before that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts