Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends,

A friend of mine got her student visa last march(2012) to go adelaide to pursue her Masters in Teaching(ECE) but they could not go as her mother fell really sick,her agent insisted that they should immediately file her visa for Masters in Education for july intake, she was extremely hesitant and did not want to file for M.ED,but somehow the gent convinced her to
file the same, her visa got rejected this time, is there any chance of her ever getting accepted or granted a student visa again, she is really keen to do her Masters in teaching(ECE),any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
965 Posts
what was the reason for rejection? based on that people can comment

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi rajan9999,

every application will be considered on its own merits. However, if she filed for a visa once and did not use it, the application may be scrutinized more. She has to convince DIBP that she really plans to study and return to her home country afterwards. In short: They want to be sure that she is not using a student visa as entry point into Australia with a plan to overstay / break her visa conditions. Unfortunately there was a recent report on a a high fraud rate in student visa applications:

For Indian student visas, the DIAC documents show a 37 per cent fraud rate from 41,636 lodgements across the same time period [2008/2009].
DIBP is probably double and triple checking the applications these days. While it is unfortunate that your friend had to suffer because of some jerks who played the visa system, I am convinced that she can still get her student visa if she re-applies with additional supporting documents.

I would suggest to get a (good!) agent to help prepare the new application. The re-application should address why she could not study back in 2010 (sick mother etc.).

All the best,
Monika

G

·
Probably because she applied for a different course so soon after. Did she explain why she did not use the previous visa?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably because she applied for a different course so soon after. Did she explain why she did not use the previous visa?

That was a blunder,you are right, they said why have you thought of doing a MED and how will you recover the cost of the course and you can do MED in india too.It was a really bad call made on the insistence of the agent,she never wanted to do MED.

yes of course her fee was returned 100% once she sent all her mothers documents to the college when she could go in march 2012.

what do u think can or will she get it again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi rajan9999,

every application will be considered on its own merits. However, if she filed for a visa once and did not use it, the application may be scrutinized more. She has to convince DIBP that she really plans to study and return to her home country afterwards. In short: They want to be sure that she is not using a student visa as entry point into Australia with a plan to overstay / break her visa conditions. Unfortunately there was a recent report on a a high fraud rate in student visa applications:

DIBP is probably double and triple checking the applications these days. While it is unfortunate that your friend had to suffer because of some jerks who played the visa system, I am convinced that she can still get her student visa if she re-applies with additional supporting documents.

I would suggest to get a (good!) agent to help prepare the new application. The re-application should address why she could not study back in 2010 (sick mother etc.).

All the best,
Monika

Dear Monika,

Thats really sad as actions of some stupid people, genuine people have to suffer,she was given the visa along with her family in march intake 2012 which she couldn't use due to her moms poor health and it was very much explained and all medicals sent to the college to have her fee refunded, they got miffed cos agent asked her to apply under a different college for july 2012 intake and they said she can very well do an M.ED IN india itself and since she won't get a job after doing M.ed SHE WONT BE ABLE TO RECOVER HER STUDY COST AND REJECTED ON GENUINE ENTRY CASE.

Would you know of an agent who would or could handle a case like her.

regards

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi rajan9999,

a few pointers:
1.) Does she have the funds to pay the tuition fees and living expenses for the entire study program? She should line up all the supporting financial documents that she can get.

2.) How is the study program different from Indian programs? Is international experience a bonus in her occupation? You could try and look up university ratings etc. that clearly indicate why a person might travel all the way to Australia to study instead of at a local university. If she can demonstrate that she has done lots of research on that topic she will come across as a genuine applicant instead of somebody who tries to get a visa by claiming to study <insert-course-here>.

3.) How would the degree influence her job prospects and salary (in India and internationally)?

Unfortunately I cannot recommend an agent because I applied for our visa myself. I'd recommend to employ a MARA agent who has experience in that area. Google around a bit or call them up and ask. It does not really matter where the agent is located because most contact is via email/phone anyway, so you don't have to limit yourself to India.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi rajan9999,

a few pointers:
1.) Does she have the funds to pay the tuition fees and living expenses for the entire study program? She should line up all the supporting financial documents that she can get.

2.) How is the study program different from Indian programs? Is international experience a bonus in her occupation? You could try and look up university ratings etc. that clearly indicate why a person might travel all the way to Australia to study instead of at a local university. If she can demonstrate that she has done lots of research on that topic she will come across as a genuine applicant instead of somebody who tries to get a visa by claiming to study <insert-course-here>.

3.) How would the degree influence her job prospects and salary (in India and internationally)?

Unfortunately I cannot recommend an agent because I applied for our visa myself. I'd recommend to employ a MARA agent who has experience in that area. Google around a bit or call them up and ask. It does not really matter where the agent is located because most contact is via email/phone anyway, so you don't have to limit yourself to India.

Cheers,
Monika
Dear Monika,

You are an angel!! Yes everything right frm her financials to her ielts
Is in place,the issue is finding someone right as most of the agents in
India are morons who have no clue,all they hv told her is,she will
Never get any kind of visa to australia leave aside student visa.she did
Speak to two mara agents in melbourne and was givne a very weird
Request of sndg them 1000 aud to prepare her docs,whici is bull
Cos agents get hefty commission frm colleges and ther are not suppos
To ask for any money.also masters of teaching is not taught in any university in
India and can get heaps of benefit and knowing her she will so easily
Be absolrbed in australia itself she's a damn good teacher.just a matter
Of getting there is getting to be a huge struglle for the poor girl.

Rgds

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi rajan9999,

what do you mean, "the agents get a hefty commission from colleges and are not supposed to ask for money"? That's not true! They offer a professional service and of course they'd want to be paid! There are services (such as Gostralia!) that are funded by universities and help applicants with their visa applications (free translations of transcripts etc.) BUT not every agent receives money from colleges. And your friend needs more help than a normal student because her application has been refused once already, so extra care is necessary.

That said, the first (phone or in-person) consultation with an agent should be free. That's when you should ask them for references to similar cases they've dealt with and a "plan of attack". If you don't feel like they are competent and treat you with respect, stay clear ;).

One final thing: Please refrain from using text speak in the forum. It makes your posts hard to read for other non-native speakers and is against forum rules.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi rajan9999,

what do you mean, "the agents get a hefty commission from colleges and are not supposed to ask for money"? That's not true! They offer a professional service and of course they'd want to be paid! There are services (such as Gostralia!) that are funded by universities and help applicants with their visa applications (free translations of transcripts etc.) BUT not every agent receives money from colleges. And your friend needs more help than a normal student because her application has been refused once already, so extra care is necessary.

That said, the first (phone or in-person) consultation with an agent should be free. That's when you should ask them for references to similar cases they've dealt with and a "plan of attack". If you don't feel like they are competent and treat you with respect, stay clear ;).

One final thing: Please refrain from using text speak in the forum. It makes your posts hard to read for other non-native speakers and is against forum rules.

Cheers,
Monika
ok will ask her to call her a few agents and see where it goes and am sure a good reliable agent will give her a sort of guarantee if he's handled such cases in the past or is it too much to expect?

sure i will take care of the text speak issue.

what is it that you do in australia,if i may ask and how long have you been there?

rgds

1 - 11 of 11 Posts