Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a student visa would allow me to work while studying in UK. I am planning to apply for a student visa then enrol at any University in UK and at the same time look for a job for my profession. Is my plan feasible?

G

·
Is a student visa would allow me to work while studying in UK. I am planning to apply for a student visa then enrol at any University in UK and at the same time look for a job for my profession. Is my plan feasible?
Also you dont apply for the student visa first. You must apply for a course in university and be accepted first and then apply if you meet all of the requirements for the visa.

Maybe not the best idea thinking you will get a job in your profession whilst studying full time. Some students do but many are delivering pizzas and working in bars as its only 20 hrs.

G

·
But if you can afford it you could study in the UK which would place you better to get a sponsored job after. Not guaranteed of course but its generally easier to find a job being in the country with qualifications the company recognise.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Also you must have funds to pay for tuition fees and up to £1,000 a month in living costs, and you can't take into account your potential earnings while you study. So the income is a kind of pocket money on top.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also you must have funds to pay for tuition fees and up to £1,000 a month in living costs, and you can't take into account your potential earnings while you study. So the income is a kind of pocket money on top.
Is it possible to shift from student visa to working visa? And how long would it take?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible to transfer fr student to working visa and how long would it take?

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Is it possible to transfer fr student to working visa and how long would it take?
Only if you can find someone to sponsor you for a work visa after your program is finished. Tier 2 work visas are job specific.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Before you complete your studies and get your degree, you will have to be sponsored by an employer, and unless the job is on shortage list (you are unlikely to qualify because your lack of qualifications and experience), they have to offer the job to resident workers first who don't require a visa. If you do get your degree, then until it expires (for a period of a few months), you can look for graduate-level job (paying £20,300 plus) with an employer willing to sponsor you for Tier 2 General visa, but the job doesn't have to be advertised and doesn't need to be offered to resident workers first. With still high graduate unemployment, unless your skills are in high demand, you may struggle to find a suitable post with an employer willing to sponsor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before you complete your studies and get your degree, you will have to be sponsored by an employer, and unless the job is on shortage list (you are unlikely to qualify because your lack of qualifications and experience), they have to offer the job to resident workers first who don't require a visa. If you do get your degree, then until it expires (for a period of a few months), you can look for graduate-level job (paying £20,300 plus) with an employer willing to sponsor you for Tier 2 General visa, but the job doesn't have to be advertised and doesn't need to be offered to resident workers first. With still high graduate unemployment, unless your skills are in high demand, you may struggle to find a suitable post with an employer willing to sponsor.
I actually have a degree already and i have 2 qualifications. I am planning to take masters degree.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Still, until you complete your UK Masters, your access to UK job market is restricted to those on the shortage list (google for it) or where the employer cannot find local applicant who doesn't require sponsorship for a visa.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.