Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am a Permanent Resident of NZ and would like to get my family ( Spouse and 2 children aged 14 and 9 years ) over to NZ .

While my spouse would come under the category of a Partnership visa, children would come under student visa

Given my PR status as a parent, and with the children applying for student visa , would they qualify as domestic student or international student ? As I understand that international students have to pay fees in full for their education in primary / secondary schools

Any guidance would be most appreciated !

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Yes your partner would be able to apply for a partnership visa but that is a partnership resident visa.
As for the children, because they are dependents, you would be applying for dependent resident visas. All of these visas are through the family stream.
It may be necessary for them all to apply for temporary visas in the interim if they are to travel soon as the resident visa process can take several months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt response. However my question is ..if I apply for a student visa for my children ( I am a PR of NZ ) would they qualify as a domestic student or international student ? The reason I ask is because international student has to pay fees , but thats not the case for a domestic student

For my spouse I would apply under the partnership category and once they are all here, we could apply for the residency visa

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Thanks for the prompt response. However my question is ..if I apply for a student visa for my children ( I am a PR of NZ ) would they qualify as a domestic student or international student ? The reason I ask is because international student has to pay fees , but thats not the case for a domestic student

For my spouse I would apply under the partnership category and once they are all here, we could apply for the residency visa
They would be classed as an international students, however I'd guess you wouldn't be able to apply. The student visa is aimed at people of university age and older to gain a higher qualification. If your children are school age they will have to at least go for temporary student visas via the family stream and then working towards dependent resident visas.
You need to look at the eligibility criteria for student visas. Normally a person needs a written offer from an NZ university on a qualifying minimum Level 7 course and has to prove sufficient funds for the period of the course etc. You can't do that if you're a school child.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts