Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :)

I'm a student midwife living in the UK and would like to emmigrate to Queensland as soon as possible after I graduate. (Sept 2012) I think the best route for me would be employer sponsorship but I'm not sure how to apply directly to employers when I'm not yet a registered practitioner here yet.

The immigration council haven't been much help so far, but according to the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council I will have all the necessary criteria to register in Australia...still not 100% on whether my work experience will meet it, but I will have worked for 3 years in Midwifery as part of my honours degree.
Does anyone have any advice?

I really need to know which step to take next. There's no doubt in my mind that I'll get to Australia one way or another, but I want to make good choices.

Thanks in advance
Girly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Midwife just moved to NSW

Hi,

Im 26 years old, i qualified as a midwife in the UK 3 years ago.
I met my australian partner 18 months ago, so the plan was always to move tempoarily over here.

Obviously i was already qualified when it came to applying to work over here, so i can only go on this basis. But hopefully some of the info i supply will be useful. I personally think you will have a better chance of getting sponsorship if you work in the UK for at least a year following qualifying, most places look for 2 years experience as Midwives in the UK are trained better than midwives in Oz and you will have so much knowledge in that time, especially if you have trained at a busy unit.

So when i decided to move over here, i first contacted Geneva health, they are based in New Zealand and were amazing with getting me started. It takes quite a few months to get everything sorted, so be patient. It is a free service!
Geneva Health will e-mail you forms to fill in for AHPRA (Australian health Practioner Regulation Agency) so like the NMC. This form is easy enough to fill in, but they require notaried (seen and signed by lawyer) evidence, so photocopies of degree, driving lisence, passport, bills, english GSCE cert etc..they will list exactly what u need, these will cost about 100 pound to get notaried, and u send Geneva these notaried copies. Geneva will check u filled in the application form correctly and make sure u have all u need and will forward it on. You will also need references from your employers.
At this point, you need to contact the NMC so they can send u a form to fill in, this will then be forwarded to AHPRA by NMC.

That form for Geneva health and AHPRA can take from a few weeks to a few months to be completed, when it is complete you will have to pick up a certificate from Oz (when u arrive) to say you are able to practice as a midwife in Oz.

In the meantime, Geneva health will get you to do a basic CV which has to be full of compentencies (this is where being a band 6 when applying comes in handy). This CV will be forwarded onto prospective employers who will decide, based on this CV whether they want to offer you an interview.
Because i intially wanted to live and work in Sydney, Geneva health were able to help me, but when we decided to move to a small town 4 hours north of Sydney i decided to apply straight to the hospital myself.
There was a job advertised online on the website of the hospital i wanted to work for (so do your homework on exact locations), and i applied directly. They got in touch, asking if i had a visa, which i hadnt, and i asked if i could be sponsored by them. Which they did their side. I had no interview, they purely offered me a job based on my application (another reason to work in the UK for a bit 1st).

The visa part of it is pretty straight forward. My employers applied to be a sponsor and nomiated me, once they did this and it was approved they gave me a number and i applied for a 457 sponsorship Visa my end( its a 3yr visa), i had to pay like 130 pound, scanned through notaried copies of my passport, driving lisence, oz health insurance cert (which u will need to get when applying for a visa), degree, GCSE english cert (which will cost about 100 pound to get notaried again). It can then take upto 3 months(from the start of the employers inital enquiry) for them to make a decision, it took 6 weeks for my Visa.
Because you have a British Passport (i have an irish one) you wont need to get a visa stamp for your passport, its all done electronically now, you are then ready to buy a ticket and go!!!

I hope this helps, this is the order i did it in. I first spoke to Geneva health 14th December 2010, i was ready to send my application to AHPRA end of January 2011, it wasnt till the end of March that AHPRA came back to me about my application, it took till the beginning of May for AHPRA to approve my application. I started my visa application 4th May (well my employers did), and i did my half 19th May, it was then granted 28th May. I moved here 7th June :) and i love it.. But i dont start work till 11th July. So all in all it took 6 months.

I hope this helps. Ask me any questions if i haven't covered something, if not then good luck! xx

·
Banned
934 Posts
Do two years of experience first. As amazing as it sounds from a career in nursing point of view but people may stil be reluctant to take you on. You'll get to Australia be patient!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is great! :)

Thank you so much for this, it helps a lot.

My main concern is that there won't be a job for me here when I qualify.
Some of my friends who are just qualifying are not able to find any work, the job boards are empty.

I would be happy to wait, and get some more experience, but I doubt there'll be a job to do it in. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I'd love any more info if possible. My plans as a student were exactly the same..this is the first time I have logged on since 2009!! where has the time gone?! I'm now a band 6 working in a group practice, however, my dream has not gone! Qld health are advertising for group practice midwives so I was/am going to apply, my main concern being that I don't have visa, ilets or anything in place but I'm really encouraged by your post Zita. Worth giving it a go I suppose, they can only say no but a bonus if it were to be a yes!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi,

Get your registration to AHPRA underway.....look at the international applicants bit.....it's pretty straight forward.

Then look for jobs, Queensland health, seek.com.....they have loads of jobs, and see if they take on new grads, but be warned, it is very different overhere!!!

You could go on a 457 visa, or apply for perm residency....for visa options..... DIAC, but the rules chane in July, where you put an expression of interest in( EOI) then you get chosen for a visa, look at the skills select bit....think if you google it, it comes up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.