Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to transfer to RMIT to switch my course and finish my undergrad but I absolutely need student loans on top of the part time work hours allowed on the student visa.
I've been looking into what options are available to me as a US citizen and it seems like they're isn't a lot. I would prefer to not take out private Australian loans because I plan on migrating here and the likelihood of me getting a loan here is very slim with no co-signer and an extremely limited, practically nonexistent credit history in Australia. Through the RMIT financial aid office I've seen that US citizens and PRs can apply for federal loans and financial aid but I'm not sure if it will be sufficient enough.
Any Americans or anyone else been in a similar situation?
Anyone have any recommendations for ways to acquire money to pay for undergrad here?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
You won't be able to get student loans from the Australian government or private loans from an Australian lender. As you mentioned, you can apply for US federal loans/financial aid but most people have to take out private loans in the US in addition to their federal loans. The other option is to look into scholarships and other funding available to you - you'd be surprised at the number of scholarships and grants that are floating around. Unfortunately, you'll need to do some research and sometimes the applications can be a bit onerous. But it's worth it for free money.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If someone is a PR where he can apply for study loan to pay for university courses. All i have read so far the loans are for Citizens or Humanitarian PR ..while Normal PR pays the local fees.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
If someone is a PR where he can apply for study loan to pay for university courses. All i have read so far the loans are for Citizens or Humanitarian PR ..while Normal PR pays the local fees.
The OP is not an Australian PR so this doesn't apply here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts