Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if it's normal for university students to have part time jobs in France? My partner's daughter is claiming that she has too much course work/homework to do and doesn't have time to work. I don't believe her and she is rather spoilt and very lazy!

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Sort of.... What is "common" here in France is for students to work part-time during the school holidays if they need the extra money, and certainly for at least a few weeks during the summer holidays. Though I can recall my DH's daughter moaning about how she "only" got "a few" weeks of holiday during the summer (all this while we were running our own company and NEVER took holiday for more than maybe one week or so during the year). But DH's daughter could also be described as "rather spoilt and very lazy" too.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
306 Posts
It is not the norm where I am.

I always thought it normal for kids in college to have a job, but when my daughter did so, I got a lot of flack- from my husband, his family and a large part of our village!

People act as if she is a martyr, abused by her parents. My husband spends time (still) trying to explain that he was willing to pay for everything... she didn't HAVE to work. He feels guilty about it.

She apparently soaked up a lot of the American values from me and when she spent a year there. It was her choice.

With her younger brother, he is in his fifth year, and has only had jobs during the summer months. This is considered normal for everyone around me.

It does seem to be very hard for him - he doesn't have time to go out and party, at least (which would cause me to object). Especially during prépa (math & physics).... it was so tough he called one day crying that he couldn't figure out how to have the time to do things like buy toilet paper.

So from my experience, I'd say it is NOT part of french tradition for a college student to work whiel going to school.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I think you're right, Bluesma, that it's not the "usual" thing here for university students to work during the school year - and not all that common for them to work during the summer. It may have something to do with the university programs that require various "stages" as part of the program - often requiring them to work during part or all of their school holidays for little, or sometimes no pay.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. I guess it's useless for me to compare her with my niece in England who, throughout her three years at university, worked 2 or 3 nights per week in a restaurant, and sometimes during the day at weekends. On the other hand, my partner's daughter is doing a two year course on marketing/internet where her earliest start is 10am and latest finish is 6pm, Some days she finishes mid-afternoon. She has never helped around the house because she's excellent at thinking up good excuses not to and my partner believes her, grrrr! She spent the three months of summer floating around the pool and topping up her tan. Spoilt and lazy? Oh yes most definitely! My worry is that she will find an excuse not to get a job after she finishes university and she will be workshy all her life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts