Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I wonder how I ever managed, when living in the U.K., to fit in a 45+hour working week.!

I'm now working 3 evenings a week, which to be honest is enough, preparation takes another day. Then there is the finca and the animals, dog training, ( megs doing well, we have mastered the command of down from a distance, running through a tunnel and jumping over hurdles, well I say we, Meg has more understanding than me:D) plus the general day to day life stuff.

Recently though, I have found myself behind on everything, and permanently playing catchup.

Do you structure your days or just go with the flow?

·
Banned
121 Posts
Always thought "meg" was your daughter but now seeing your "signature" I guess you are older and have a dog named "meg"... Sad but true....

As to your question, old age does that to you. I have started waking up earlier now. Do not need my 12 hours of sleep every day now....

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Sometimes I wonder how I ever managed, when living in the U.K., to fit in a 45+hour working week.!

I'm now working 3 evenings a week, which to be honest is enough, preparation takes another day. Then there is the finca and the animals, dog training, ( megs doing well, we have mastered the command of down from a distance, running through a tunnel and jumping over hurdles, well I say we, Meg has more understanding than me:D) plus the general day to day life stuff.

Recently though, I have found myself behind on everything, and permanently playing catchup.

Do you structure your days or just go with the flow?
Apart from when there are specific things to do such as Drs, hospital, opticians appointments etc. there are always such things as walking the dogs, sometimes cooking (usually for Saturday lunch if SWMBO has classes, but sometimes on other days), then there are the boring things such as get up, have breakfast, light the log-burner (if weather cold,) bring up logs from two floors below, butcher meat if we have bought a cinta completa de lomo de cerdo, etc. as we did today (at 2.99€ a kilo it was an offer too good to miss.) Mind you, the Chrissy puds and cake are all made and will probably make the stuffings this weekend.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I like to go with the flow. Now 13 yrs into retirement, I told myself that I'm going back to my childhood life. Like doing things that stike your fancy, go off on long walks exploring, see a film or go to a museum, read a book, ride a bike.

There's some structure. I have my morning run, shopping, cleaning house, some other misc chores. Oh, and French class - two days a week, and time preparing for class. Luckily, my lovely wife likes to cook (and doesn't like my cooking) but I do the washing-up.

Wish I had a dog to walk, miss that.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
When I gave up my job and came to live in Spain I swore it would be me in control of my time and what I did with it in future, and nobody else. I still love not having to get up at a certain time each day, and not having to go out if the weather is bad if I don't want to. For the first couple of years I had Spanish lessons to go to and prepare for, plus intercambio sessions for six months or so, but otherwise it's been very much "go with the flow" and that's the way I want to keep it.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I like to go with the flow. Now 13 yrs into retirement, I told myself that I'm going back to my childhood life. Like doing things that stike your fancy, go off on long walks exploring, see a film or go to a museum, read a book, ride a bike.

There's some structure. I have my morning run, shopping, cleaning house, some other misc chores. Oh, and French class - two days a week, and time preparing for class. Luckily, my lovely wife likes to cook (and doesn't like my cooking) but I do the washing-up.

Wish I had a dog to walk, miss that.
:boink: Mary - Buying signal!

·
Registered
573 Posts
:boink: Mary - Buying signal!
Man, I'd love to have one! But in Paris? I know a lot of folks have them here but I just feel it's a bit cruel to keep them in a cramped apt even if you walk them 4x/day.

We won't be here forever and I know a dog's in the picture someday :)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Most of my days are spent at the perrera, then doing perrera work at home.
So life is structured for me.
It strikes me that I have never really retired. The three years in Prague and first five years here I was travelling around Europe for my trades union, attending meetings, seminars on an expenses only basis, then got involved with charity work here when I gave that up.
When not involved in charity work, local political meetings, ArcoIris, I like to eat out with OH or friends, walk the dogs.
And of course chatting/discussing with online friends and chortling at the amusing but sad crap from the multi-personaed troll whose life is clearly void of any real interest, unlike the rest of us.:)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Man, I'd love to have one! But in Paris? I know a lot of folks have them here but I just feel it's a bit cruel to keep them in a cramped apt even if you walk them 4x/day.

We won't be here forever and I know a dog's in the picture someday :)
Good to hear that:) I sensed you were a good person!

I can help.....:rockon:

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
My life is apparently incomplete as I don't have a border collie and I am possibly not a good person as I don't like dogs much, but my constant companion is a black cat called Messi and her main purpose in life is to make sure I am out of bed by 9.

I have various commitments through the week - English classes, pilates etc - which take place late afternoon or in the evening. Otherwise I go with the flow. After breakfast I read the papers, play online Scrabble, do a bit of housework, cooking or shopping in the village. I have lunch around 2.30, spend the afternoons painting, writing or lounging in the hammock with a book. I have long-term goals rather than daily ones, which I probably wouldn't keep.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I used to be jealous of all you retirees. Now I'm not so sure!!

My day is pre-mapped, all I have to do is follow the route!
But that gets boring. I carried on past retirement age by driving a minibus on a County Council service giving people in small outlying villages access to rail and main bus services. The county Council could not organise a p*ss up in a brewery when it came to writing timetables and expected us to be able to cover 7½ miles in 5 minutes over narrow roads with double bends.

I rewrote the timetables with realistic timings giving people an hourly service that connected with buses and trains so, really, my days became pre-mapped and I plus my colleagues just followed my routes.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I came here to retire, sit in the sun with a good Rioja and a book, occasional dip in the pool. But it never happened. Seven year old son, school run, homework, extra maths and language tuition, 14 cats, 8 chickens, 2 rabbits (and apparently 2 ducks on the way), oh and SWMBO and cooking all our meals and looking after several gardens and my elderly parents. Because of that, I never have time to buy the Rioja and I cannot find that book. It's here somewhere...

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
But that gets boring.
Yes, but it removes an obligation to decide!!

I have no choice of taking the kids to school, getting to work.... I am a western society robot, devoid of free choice.

If you look at the situation of the retirees around here, most have replaced these obligations with comparable ones, allbeit voluntarily.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Get out of bed, go to bathroom to shed a few tears for Nelson, go check BP at or about 0700, then back to bed to await SWMBO bringing coffee.
Have coffee and morning pills plus inhaler.

If there is nothing, such as medical appointments, scheduled, snuggle down for another snooze (SWMBO does the same) sleep through SWMBO's getting up and spending 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Wake up when the dogs start barking, shave, shower and get dressed.

If there is any laundry to be done, put first wash in. Go up to ground floor and get breakfast.

After breakfast, back down to my den, check e-mail and answer what is essential. Read the overnight newspapers or those parts which might be important, leaving the rest for later. Hang out washing and put in any subsequent loads.

Do the Forum quiz and then take dogs out at about 11 -11.15 (SWMBO took them for their first walk at 6.30,) chat up the cartera and collect any mail, greet and chat with anybody who happens to be around then back home and make coffee for me and tea for SWMBO. Back down to den and finish reading morning newspapers and by then the Luxembourg newspaper is in, so I read that. In between times, I address what needs commenting on, on the forum.

1.00pm is lunch, then it is back down here for my session on the treadmill.

In the afternoon, I might have a read or fall asleep in the chair...

Boring ain't it?

Of course once the weather turns I go onto winter schedule which involves cleaning out log-burner and relighting it plus bringing up a 100kg load of logs from the log-store on the lowest level, chopping kindling, etc. but, of course, I don't then have to water the plants on the patio as often, if at all. etc.

·
Registered
619 Posts
We came to live in Spain as soon as we retired so our days are now our own. I have a Spanish discussion group once a week and that is my only commitment and even that is an imposition on our new free life.

We decide what we are doing each day over a cuppa in bed each morning, at various times from 7.30 to 11.30 depending on when we wake up; persianas are a brilliant invention.

I do get pangs from time to time though when we go to am dram shows or listen to a brass band as that is something I would love to get into but the advantage of not having commitments, atm, is a much greater draw for us.

In UK I was a member of at least one brass band at a time from being 11 years old until we left to live in Spain and have lost count of the number of family occasions and bank holidays that I had to forego through rehearsals and performances.

So, at the moment, we are content with our carefree existence. It has been 5 years now and we still do not feel the need for any extra structure yet.

We do however feel very lucky and privileged to be able to live this lifestyle and we do not take it for granted, counting our blessings almost every day.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Get out of bed, go to bathroom to shed a few tears for Nelson, go check BP at or about 0700, then back to bed to await SWMBO bringing coffee.
Have coffee and morning pills plus inhaler.

If there is nothing, such as medical appointments, scheduled, snuggle down for another snooze (SWMBO does the same) sleep through SWMBO's getting up and spending 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Wake up when the dogs start barking, shave, shower and get dressed.

If there is any laundry to be done, put first wash in. Go up to ground floor and get breakfast.

After breakfast, back down to my den, check e-mail and answer what is essential. Read the overnight newspapers or those parts which might be important, leaving the rest for later. Hang out washing and put in any subsequent loads.

Do the Forum quiz and then take dogs out at about 11 -11.15 (SWMBO took them for their first walk at 6.30,) chat up the cartera and collect any mail, greet and chat with anybody who happens to be around then back home and make coffee for me and tea for SWMBO. Back down to den and finish reading morning newspapers and by then the Luxembourg newspaper is in, so I read that. In between times, I address what needs commenting on, on the forum.

1.00pm is lunch, then it is back down here for my session on the treadmill.

In the afternoon, I might have a read or fall asleep in the chair...

Boring ain't it?

Of course once the weather turns I go onto winter schedule which involves cleaning out log-burner and relighting it plus bringing up a 100kg load of logs from the log-store on the lowest level, chopping kindling, etc. but, of course, I don't then have to water the plants on the patio as often, if at all. etc.
I wake up around seven thirty, Radio 4 Today, crawl downstairs, make espresso for us, get dressed, walk Azor -he can't walk far these days - have breakfast ON the bed, shower or bathe, off to perrera, afterwards do perrera e-mails/paperwork at home, late lunch/early dinner if not eating out or in with friends, read, watch Newsnight, sometimes a film...we binge watched that excellent series 'The Crown' this week.
Twice weekly flamenco club, occasional PSOE meeting (where I lose the will to live).
Reading wherever I can get a few quiet hours.
Bed/sleep around 12.00, 01.00

1 - 20 of 41 Posts