Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on the Strike on Thursday . Will air trafic still be coming in to Alicante .??

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
the FCO has just issued this a couple of hours ago....

Strikes in Spain to affect travel

Strikes in Spain to affect travel

27 March 2012
A General Strike has been called for 29 March by the two largest trades unions in Spain. Services at Spanish airports may be significantly disrupted.

The strike may also affect public transport within Spain.

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
Oh well, that should help create jobs and give a boost to the struggling economy...

We need to get this deficit down and then ensure that never again are we taken for a ride by snake-oil salespeople with their sleek, empty promises. Strikes won't help. Elected Governments shouldn't be coerced by action from one relatively small sector of society.

It took a war to bring in a half-way decent welfare state in the UK. This economic crisis is low-intensity war with different weapons: pay freezes, public sector job cuts, cuts to essential public services....

There is sadly no alternative to deficit and debt reduction policies but if when all is resolved we allow any Government to take us back to the status quo ante we will be out of our tiny minds.

Just as the privations of war made my mother's generation determined to see a sea change in the lives of ordinary people so we should ensure that after the sadly necessary austerity is over and balance restored we too see a radical change in our philosophy not only of the economics of government but of the whole ethos of our society.

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
Everything crossed for you! At least you're going in the right direction and won't face any onward travel problems, I see they are seriously limiting access to the airports for taxis, buses, etc.
Yes, but I've got a secret weapon called Mr. Pesky Wesky:).

My flight may experience some problems, or even be cancelled in the end, but I did notice on other air company websites that there were very few cancelled flights to the UK. In fact those that were cancelled, were all to London airports I think

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
All supermarkets, shops and petrol stations open in this area. So far very little closed it seems, apart from my Mother's hairdresser who closed because she feared she would be fined if she opened. Not sure who she thinks would fine her but methinks it was simply an excuse to have a day off. She's British, btw.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
TAP have cancelled most of their flights into Spain today :(

Portugals TAP cancels most Spanish flights for Thursday due general strike. TAP/Air Portugal has canceled more than half its scheduled flights into and out of Spain on Thursday due to a planned general strike in its Iberian neighbor, a TAP official said.

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
All supermarkets, shops and petrol stations open in this area. So far very little closed it seems, apart from my Mother's hairdresser who closed because she feared she would be fined if she opened. Not sure who she thinks would fine her but methinks it was simply an excuse to have a day off. She's British, btw.
the schools are open here but not with full staff & the kids could stay off with parental permission

don't know about shops - I'm in bed with flu :(

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
the schools are open here but not with full staff & the kids could stay off with parental permission

don't know about shops - I'm in bed with flu :(
Keep warm ....it's cold and windy here today.

Not much movig here...but then our village is always quiet, dozy even, except for a brief interlude between around six and seven in the evening when people emerge into the streets and cafes..then all is quiet again, even in summer...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
PP gets social over General Strike

From the Guardian Live feed on the general strike.

11.09am: Our Madrid correspondent Giles Tremlett reports that Spanish police seem upset about a suggestion by the governing People's party (PP) of prime minister Mariano Rajoy that social networks should be used to denounce illegal picketing or violence in today's general strike.

He writes:

Esperanza Aguirre, the PP head of the regional government of Madrid, had called on people to "put up on social networks any photos or videos" of "any act of violence or of coercion by pickets". She has repeated the idea on her own Twitter feed.

But Spain's National Police force has just put out its own tweet, asking people not to use Twitter for official complaints.

"Please, for warnings, incidents, queries or requests for help about #huelga (strike) do not use Twitter. Dial 091. The coordination is better there," it says.
I would say that she has been watching what happened last summer in the UK and trying to turn it to her advantage.
So I guess, if nothing else, we could say that Esperanza Aguirre is trying to connect via more modern means and use it to the PPs advantage.
Pity she was nearly a year too late and decided to act with a heavy hand rather than actually socialize. But that's The Countess of Murillo for you :)

·
Registered
15,659 Posts
Interesting - when DRY did this with photos and videos of police violence against protesters in Barcelona and Valencia recently, they were accused of faking them.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts