Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an issue with the PC (no fully loading at start up) so I set it back to the last backup date which is every Sunday.
It reformatted itself and I then visited each site to re-logon, but when visiting here the PC blocked a pop up, I then clicked onto the, if you are not redirected bar, when up pops this ........

Name .... PIE.htc
Type ..... Unknown 39.7KB
expatforum.com
Open/save/etc

Ignored it and went elsewhere, but on returning the page loaded as normal ?
This happened on two occasions as I have reloaded the system twice in the past week.

Running XP.
IE 8
Avast.
Malewarebytes.
Fully updated and scanned with nothing showing.

Thoughts ?

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
Had an issue with the PC (no fully loading at start up) so I set it back to the last backup date which is every Sunday.
It reformatted itself and I then visited each site to re-logon, but when visiting here the PC blocked a pop up, I then clicked onto the, if you are not redirected bar, when up pops this ........

Name .... PIE.htc
expatforum.com
Open/save/etc

This happened on two occasions as I have reloaded the system twice in the past week.

Running XP.
IE 8
Avast.
Malewarebytes.

Thoughts ?
no clue :confused2:

I will alert the boss to your question though......

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Unless it has been hijacked it relates to clever formatting effects relating to IE.

PIE stands for Progressive Internet Explorer - as hard as it is to imagine the words 'progressive' and 'IE' in the same sentence :)

Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

You could of course try a decent browser instead of IE ;)

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
Unless it has been hijacked it relates to clever formatting effects relating to IE.

PIE stands for Progressive Internet Explorer - as hard as it is to imagine the words 'progressive' and 'IE' in the same sentence :)

Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

You could of course try a decent browser instead of IE ;)
the boss agrees...........either change browser or upgrade to IE9 & that should solve it

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

Name .... PIE.htc
expatforum.com
Open/save/etc

Running XP.
IE 8
Avast.
Malewarebytes.

Thoughts ?
try using firefox, google chrome or opera. Opera I find a bit quirky and google chrome a bit too basic, so I use firefox.

I never liked IE ,or outlook express ( the continual need to update security issues.)
"we are microsoft, You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile"
in the begning I used Netscape, then changed to firefox and thuderbird, with both set as default for browsing and mail, very few probs and importing all your settings is easy

G

·
pie.htc is a piece of code aimed at enabling older (odder!) versions of Internet Exploder to work with CSS3 (Cascading Style Sheets).

As others have mentioned, dump that browser forthwith. It is full of security problems, is slow, bloaty and offers a pretty p*ss-poor user experience.

Go with Chrome, Opera, hell even Safari is miles better and a damn sight quicker. Avast is OK, personally I prefer AVG, but hey. Also look to install Adaware, Zone Alarm (MS Firewall is pants and you`d be better off using a wet kleenex, for all the difference MS FW does).

Finally, install the excellent CCleaner from Pirisoft. Been using it for years and can attest to it`s usefulness. It will get rid of lots of unecessary clart left over from badly installed proggies and all of the crud that gets left on your machine by IE8 and the like. Cleans naff registry values and words, so all in all, very handy.

Pip pip!

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thanks for all the thoughts & yes I may now switch, or try Firefox.

I do use C Cleaner & do have a suspicion that something nasty is stopping the PC firing up fully, as tonight I had to ask it to reformat to last saved date, so maybe Firefox will not have this issue ?

I thought Malewarebytes do more or less the same thing as Adaware/Zone-alarm ?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I recently had problems which I think may have involved Nod 32 which was put on my PC by a geek without his asking - he was just supposed to be installing a larger HDD.

I use Chrome which I have found meets all my needs and Norton. Apart from using MS Office 2003, I try to avoid anything to do with MS and the only reason I use that is compatibilty with other people. For the most part I tend to to use Office to write documents because (a) I am familiar with it and (b) the suegra uses it to do her translations for the US Govt. and trying to get either to change would be impossible. For documents such as our Bulletin I use Open Office to convert the Word doc to PDF before sending since it greatly reduces file size.

My problems were complicated by the fact that my OS on another PC was corrupted by a memory problem giving me BSODs which I ended up curing by replacing and upgrading the memory and re-installing XP Pro.

G

·
You`re confusing a System Restore Point with a reformat. The former restores the system configuration and all it´s clart to configuration saved at a previous point. The other wipes out your entire disc, requiring a full install or burn from Ghost or similar. Figured you meant the former as the latter would be like removing your chassis because Alan Carr`s on the Radio or sumfink. Although...

Re Firefox - sad to say, it is a voluminous blob compared to how lithe and svelte it use to be (grr). Sadly it`s proud heritage and mantle has slipped, as have the ankles and boobs. It shames me to say it, but firefox no longer cuts the mustard.

A few things to do, re your problem.

Firstly, go to the Event Viewer and see what is going wrong or at least the last thing that wasn`t wrong.

If you have MyComputer on the Desktop, right click and select Manage and you`ll find the event view. Alternatively, go to Administrative Tools on the startmenu and there should be an entry.

Most of what will be displayed, is frankly gibberish to most, but look for exclamation points or warnings - Chances are, the thing that went bang would be recorded and timestamped. It`s probably the best place to start.

Also, try running MSCONFIG from the start menu>Run and type MSCONFIG

This will present a no frills list of what services, processes and applications are loaded when your system boots. It is sometimes quite easy to spot a malicious little entry.

Look at the section listing startup apps (soz - can no longer fully visualise XP in me head). Scan through them and see what is being loaded. Most of it will be normal. The other stuff is sometime quite easy to spot. Look for apps that are unsigned, e.g. Microsoft, Google et al all have names against code, libraries etc. Another giveaway is to look at the location of the file. Anything that launches from a TEMP folder is worth more investigation. An app or snippet from Microsoft etc would be in a formal directory e.g. Program Files\Microsoft\Picture Mangler.

If you don`t recognise the app name, then google the fullname e.g nifty_malware99.exe and see what returns. Most of the time, it`s just an oddly named file for a genuine service. Other times it might be the ****** that´s giving you trouble.

It`s worth pointing out that you should merely review all of the settings in MSCONFIG before attempting to make any changes. Given your system might be a bit flaky, creating a system restore point now, whilst useful, isn`t really beneficial.

If you`re really stuck, post here or PM me

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed Firefox and followed the recommended prompts etc, told me it would import all items but when I clicked on Favourits the things were not there.
Switched back to IE for now.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Can I just add a bit to Yossa' excellent advice - Make a copy of all your docs/photos/ etc files on a removable storage item (e.g. extenal HDD, large USB stick, DVD, or...) That way if you should end up corrupting the HDD and have to reinstall windows, you won't have lost the valuable data. You could do a backup but that may also back up the virus/malware... so you will end up corrupting your cleaned version.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You`re confusing a System Restore Point with a reformat. The former restores the system configuration and all it´s clart to configuration saved at a previous point. The other wipes out your entire disc, requiring a full install or burn from Ghost or similar. Figured you meant the former as the latter would be like removing your chassis because Alan Carr`s on the Radio or sumfink. Although...
I will reply this way as its easier ................. Well it tells me its reformatting & takes at least an hour.
Re Firefox - sad to say, it is a voluminous blob compared to how lithe and svelte it use to be (grr). Sadly it`s proud heritage and mantle has slipped, as have the ankles and boobs. It shames me to say it, but firefox no longer cuts the mustard.
To be honest I am used to IE and have never found it an issue (think I have IE8)

A few things to do, re your problem.

Firstly, go to the Event Viewer and see what is going wrong or at least the last thing that wasn`t wrong.

If you have MyComputer on the Desktop, right click and select Manage and you`ll find the event view. Alternatively, go to Administrative Tools on the startmenu and there should be an entry.

Most of what will be displayed, is frankly gibberish to most, but look for exclamation points or warnings - Chances are, the thing that went bang would be recorded and timestamped. It`s probably the best place to start.

Also, try running MSCONFIG from the start menu>Run and type MSCONFIG

This will present a no frills list of what services, processes and applications are loaded when your system boots. It is sometimes quite easy to spot a malicious little entry.

Look at the section listing startup apps (soz - can no longer fully visualise XP in me head). Scan through them and see what is being loaded. Most of it will be normal. The other stuff is sometime quite easy to spot. Look for apps that are unsigned, e.g. Microsoft, Google et al all have names against code, libraries etc. Another giveaway is to look at the location of the file. Anything that launches from a TEMP folder is worth more investigation. An app or snippet from Microsoft etc would be in a formal directory e.g. Program Files\Microsoft\Picture Mangler.

If you don`t recognise the app name, then google the fullname e.g nifty_malware99.exe and see what returns. Most of the time, it`s just an oddly named file for a genuine service. Other times it might be the ****** that´s giving you trouble.

It`s worth pointing out that you should merely review all of the settings in MSCONFIG before attempting to make any changes. Given your system might be a bit flaky, creating a system restore point now, whilst useful, isn`t really beneficial.

If you`re really stuck, post here or PM me
I will study you advice & work though the list in the next few days, obliged for the help and for sure will let you know where I end up.

Alan Carr ? if I had the funds I would kick the screen in when he next assaults my screen. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts