Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I am wanting to move out to Dubai this year and I am wondering if some of you would be so kind to talk about how you decided to move out there and how you actually went about making the move. How did you find a job? Did you find a job before you moved over? Did you save up before you moved over? Why did you decide to move in first place? How long did the move take? Those kind of answers.

I am really just looking for how people actually made their move to Dubai so that I can model what works. What I find is when I speak to people here in England, they speak positively but have no idea of what it actually takes to make the move. So I am just wondering if you would be so kind as to share your experience of how it went for yourself please?

To be honest I feel a bit stuck here in the UK and I find myself getting so frustrated with the negativity here (Especially the 'doom and gloom' media). Not to mention the weather!! Also having visiting Dubai on several occasions and absolutely loving every part of life out there, I have wanted to live there for as long as I can remember.

I am 24 years old. I currently work for a bank and I have worked in several banks since I left school. I tried university but found out that it wasn't for me. And finally I am young, free and single with no financial or family ties.

I look forward to your replies 

Thank you

Tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey mate,

Good that you are still young and thinking of moving. I've been looking at moving to Dubai for 10 years on and off, and only got serious about it this year. I want to move from UK for similar reasons to you and Dubai has always been the only choice. I have been many times before and have close friends in Dubai. I decided that 2015 is the year I finally make the move. I've had a couple of interviews and going through the process on one now.

I wish I moved early for sure - so much easier without any commitments. Saying that, obviously having 10 years experience in the UK will have opened up more senior roles in Dubai than starting an entry level - but then you can always move up the ladder in Dubai.

My applications have all been online. I have networked with colleagues in my field and also visited Dubai to meet some recruiters in person.

Keep us updated on your progress - this forum is great by the way, and the guys are all very helpful.

·
Registered
99 Posts
An internal transfer with your bank might be one route. Otherwise I'd definitely look at securing something before you arrive. Money goes fast, recruitment goes slow and you may find yourself without the time and resources needed to get you from landing to your first pay cheque.

With oil prices where they are, financial services organisations aren't exactly hiring hand over fist but the amount of churn with people repatriating etc means that there's usually something, somewhere.

But given that you'll be looking primarily at big, international, high process organisations I'd say you're best starting the search from where you are. They just can't hire quickly the way small, locally operated businesses might.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts