Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We have a lot of boxes up in my mother-in-law's attic (which by the way is an oven in the summer and chilly in the winter).

I just rotated some clothes out, and noticed that a jacket that was practically brand new is coming apart where it was folded. It's possible that it's just a cheap jacket, but I started internet searching and noticed it can be due to temperature fluctuations.

Does anyone have success with storing their clothes and/or goods properly? Maybe put them all in a plastic container? They will be there for probably another year.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello!

Storing your clothes in a plastic container is not a good idea, with the temperature fluctuations you risk having issues with humidity / condensation inside which would definitely ruin your clothes.

If possible I would suggest hanging your items on a garment rack protected by either fabric garment bags or a fabric case that goes over the whole rack. Add some lavender and cedar planks inside to repel moths.

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
I've used those vacuum sacks to store clothes and other fabric items (quilts, sheets, etc.) and they seem to do pretty well. These are the storage sacks you can find at the hypermarkets where you put in the clothes, and then attach the vacuum cleaner nozzle to suck all the air out and compact the sack down. Just make sure everything going into the sacks is clean and dry before you seal the package.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I've used those vacuum sacks to store clothes and other fabric items (quilts, sheets, etc.) and they seem to do pretty well. These are the storage sacks you can find at the hypermarkets where you put in the clothes, and then attach the vacuum cleaner nozzle to suck all the air out and compact the sack down. Just make sure everything going into the sacks is clean and dry before you seal the package.
Cheers,
Bev
But do they withstand eg. extremely high temperatures, which are certainly an issue in many uninsulated French attics and other roof spaces? I can imagine that in the height of summer when temps hit 40 deg and more in the shade, it would be over 50 deg. in those spaces.

Perhaps polystyrene boxes (given polystyrene insulates) for clothing that is folded and packed away - just a thought as I haven't tried it myself.

·
Registered
577 Posts
We used those vacuum sealed bags to store clothing and linens in our storage shed in Texas. Non-insulated shed and it gets really hot inside during the summer, plus high humidity. Everything was good after several years of storage. I recommend them.

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
We used those vacuum sealed bags to store clothing and linens in our storage shed in Texas. Non-insulated shed and it gets really hot inside during the summer, plus high humidity. Everything was good after several years of storage. I recommend them.
That's good to hear. The one time I had to worry about heat and garments was when we managed to have an infestation of bed bugs. One of the ways to get rid of them in clothing was to put your clothes in black garbage sacks and stick them in your car. You then park your car in the sun and let the heat in the car "cook" your clothes for a couple of hours. I forget what temperature now the interior of the car has to get to to kill the nasties - but at the time, I put a thermometer in the car with the bags of clothes and yessiree bob, there was no problem getting to the required temperature for a couple of hours on a hot, summer afternoon.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips on the clothes! Will definitely try the vacuum storage bags.

Any suggestions for items such as electronics? (Sound system by husband insisted on lugging over here for which we have not touched and I highly doubt we will :crazy:)

It is okay to leave printed photos and other misc. "memory" items?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Photos and humidity don't go well at all. Temperature fluctuations won't do good either. I suggest digitizing the photos (you can pay to have this done).

The electronics I'd just dump at this point.

For the clothes - I have tightly sealed plastic boxes, that work well to keep the humidity out, however, we don't face huge temperature variations here. It is more the humidity and mold I fear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts