Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

My name is David and I'm new on this website. I work as a carpenter and joiner in Québec, Canada, and I want to come to Western Australia to work. I just don't know what are the steps to do before coming... Is there somebody who can help me with that? I 've already my white card. Do I need recognition for my course? What type of visa do I need? I know that the WHV is ok but it is 6 months max. by employer and I'm looking to stay there a while if all works good for me.

is it easy for a person from an other country to work there? What is the median salary of a carpenter who start is carreer like me...

And do we need to talk perfectly English for this job? I think that I'm not so bad but still have work to do to get bilingual.:D

Thank you,

David

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi David,

if you haven't been to Australia I think a work holiday visa would be an excellent opportunity to "scout" good areas to live in, travel a bit and find an employer. I have a couple of friends from the UK who got their citizenship incrementally, first coming over on a WHV which allowed them to find an employer willing to sponsor them on a 457 work visa. After two years with the same employer they were sponsored to permanent residency (PR). After 4 years total in Oz (with min. 1 year on PR) they applied for citizenship.

If you have a certain level of qualification and/or sufficient work experience you may also qualify for other skilled work visas. Your occupation is listed in the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (=ANZSCO) as unit group 3312 Carpenters and Joiners. Read the information here and here to check if you have the skills/work experience required. The Australians want you to have an AQF Certificate III (including at least two years of on-the-job training) or AQF Certificate IV. You'd have to look up how that relates to your Canadian qualification. If you match that skill profile I'd recommend to browse the SkillSelect page for a variety of visa options and come back with questions ;). Carpenters and joiners are listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and in demand - lucky you, that gives you the largest number of potential visa options!

Cheerio,
Monika

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Monika,

yes I've already been to Australia. It was last year. Too short stay(2weeks) :eek: I've been to a part of the east coast, Sydney, byron bay and Surfer Paradise. But, I've heard from a friends there that there's many construction job in the west coast. And I think that with all I heard from Perth and the West coast, is where I want to go. (Weather, beaches, city, jobs...)

And yes I'm pretty Lucky with this job that is on the skilled occupation list, but I just have a 3 months experience on job (formwork). The WHV will be probably better for me to get more experience and find an employer that would sponsor me like you said...

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi davve12,

if you hope to stay in Australia permanently it's still a good idea to check the requirements for the work visas before you come on a WHV. Depending on your plans, you could also get more certifications and work in Canada for a couple of more years to (potentially) qualify directly for a permanent visa. Make sure you are aware of the options post-WHV!

I'd also recommend to read the requirements for getting a second WHV. Construction work potentially qualifies you for that - if you are aware of the requirements and make sure to get the documentation you can easily extend the stay to 2 years :).

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that I'll take the WHV. It will be easy and fast to get it. They only things that can be bad for me and harder for me to get a job is the 6 monts maximum by employer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And do you have an idea of the salary around Perth? Which cities near Perth that It will be easier for me to get a job? Maybe some companies that don't care to choose a person from an other country?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
HI davve12,

it's extremely difficult to find a job from overseas. To get a good indication of which companies are hiring and the "big players" in the construction market take a look at the job ads in seek. I work in a completely different are (IT), so I have no clue about salaries in construction. Trade occupations are very respected in Australia, though, and pay pretty well. You should be able to just show up and get a job :).

Cheers,
Monika

1 - 9 of 9 Posts